into the garage

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickaboo7, Mar 11, 2008.

1. chickaboo7

chickaboo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    chicks are 3&4 weeks and are in the living room. They are getting pretty stinky. Can I move them into the garage? If so what temp should I keep the. It's still cold here high in the low 50. DH wants them in the shed, there is no electric out there. Grrrrr. They are all bantys.

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

YES! Time for the garage!!! How many do you have? If it doesn't get colder than 40's at night, it's time to put them in the coop!!! [​IMG] If it makes you feel better, put a heat lamp in at night. No need for heat in the daytime when it's in the 50's.

3. chickaboo7

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    About 30 I'm the mother hen for 4-H.

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I've always kept mine no lower than room temperature until they are fully feathered. I would think banties would feel the cold even more being so small....

5. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

But there is so many of them and they will snuggle...........

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you'll need to run a heavy duty extension cord to a heat lamp if you put them in the garage....Starting at 90 degrees for the first week, at week 3 the temp should be around 75 and at week 4, 70 degrees. They'll freeze theirs fuzzy little butts at 50 and as you said that is the "high" temp

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's way too cold for 3 or 4 week old chicks to be without a heatlamp....they will die on you for sure....they won't fully feather out til they are 8 to 10 weeks old and they still need a heatlamp for cold nights....

8. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Mine start and stay in the garage until fully feathered, then they head outside. I keep a heat lamp for them the entire time. Our garage is insulated though.

9. chickaboo7

May 18, 2007
    Manahawkin NJ
    Thanks alot My babies will go into the garage with 2 heat lamps. I can leave the door between the house and the gararge open so I can hear them and they can hear me

10. smb004

smb004 New Egg

Mar 4, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Do you keep the heat lamps on at night also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by