1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Intro/ aggression question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by slusher24, May 30, 2016.

1. slusher24

slusher24 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Hi I am new to this site. I need some help. I have two male Pekins I got them feb 27th they here a few days old so they are about 3 months. My one male Pekin is now attacking my dogs. I have heard mixed things- " get rid of the drake, eat him, get them females don't get them females" so my first step is females. So that being said these females are 2 months old what do I need to do? Keep them apart for awhile? lock them in the cool for a bit?
    TIA!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Put them together and let em learn to be with each other.I'm surprised they are attacking your ducks.Ducks are not as dangerous as roosters.And plus,if your dogs not tough enough to tunr around and beat the crap outta him,you should step in.Are they just now turning 3 months?

But,they are gonna need more females then just 2.They'll never get along. You'll need 6 or 8 to keep em satisfied.

3. slusher24

May 12, 2016
    I got them on the February 29th at a few days old. And my dog has nipped them that's what I am worried about. Him hurting the ducks. He's a heard dog so he knows he's not suppose to but he will only take so much! I have tried chasing them off then they start Toward my dogs. Nothing worked I am seriously at a loss.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Spray with a hose as hard as you can everytime they chase him.Their about 3 and a half months old,I strongly suggest females they may be trying to mate.

5. slusher24

May 12, 2016
    Well I go today to pick up two.... I really can't do more then that. When I reached these guys before I bought them I didn't see anything about this. I will try the hose thing to!

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    You could always get rid of the aggressive on,and keep the nice one to have with the hens.

1 person likes this.
  7. slusher24

May 12, 2016
    Yeah that will be my plan if he can't be happy with the two females... I feel bad for not being prepared for this I guess...

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    If he is very sweet,house ducks make great pets.

1 person likes this.
  9. slusher24

May 12, 2016
    thanks a ton for your advice! I guess time will tell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by