Intro as new member

GlenwoodCorner Chick Mama

In the Brooder
May 31, 2017
We are "first timers" at raising chickens after a year at a small "hobby farm" in northeast Ohio. We purchased 9 pullets from well respected hatchery (Plymouth Barred Rock, Black Astrolorp, Golden Comet, Rhone Island Reds, Buff Orpington) in mid April. They have their own coop (that matches our barn!) and spend the days in a combination chicken run/fruit tree orchard doing whatever it is that chickens do!. We are now getting between 6 and 9 (yes 9!) eggs per day and are thrilled with out new hobby.

This site, as a guest, has been invaluable! Thanks.

Welcome to BYC.

Eggs are so fun to collect each day, aren't they?!

Welcome to BYC and the poultry addiction. As you are already getting eggs, I take it the birds you ordered were started or point of lay pullets -- I've often wondered how they come through shipping in comparison with day olds, sounds like your girls had an uneventful trip.

6 girls in NW corner.jpg Thanks for the welcome. To respond to couple - yes we started with 16-20 week pullets. We did not have to deal with shipping as there is a very well respected hatchery (Myer Hatchery) about 70 miles from us. We ordered months ago and took delivery in by bringing our pickup truck loaded with a large wooden shipping crate David got from work. Fitted with air holes, blankets and newspaper and they can home in great condition! with 9 girls, after being here 6 weeks, we are getting an average of about 7 eggs per day in the last week (ranging from 6 to 9 each day - not counting the day we had 10 when found one "hiding" under the coop!).

I'm amazed now much pleasure they give me!

Back
Top Bottom