1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Intro from new member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pawsplus, Dec 18, 2008.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Hi, all! I've been on another chicken forum for a while and just found this one -- it looks great!

I only have 2 chooks. Clarice was a stray. Yup--the neighbors moved and abandoned her 2 years ago. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She hung out w/ my horses that first summer, but I was always worrying about her, so I made her a fancy house, got a run, and the new neighbors helped me catch her. Then I found another chicken needing a home, Olivia:
    [​IMG]

and that's my flock. [​IMG] I wish I could let them free-range during the day, but my place is very near the road and b/c of the creek and woods behind, there isn't really a way to keep the chickens away from danger. They seem very happy, though.

I'll post pix of my coop (the old one and the new, huge one I just finished) in the coop section. Just wanted to introduce myself! I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    [​IMG]

3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Love your chickies!!!
    Cant wait to see your coop!!! [​IMG]

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Welcome to all three of you.

They look fantastic don't they, certainly seem very happy little chooks.

Look forward to your pics of the coop.

Jena.

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    Hi Elizabeth... at least I assume that's your name, unless you have another pet you haven't mentioned! I fell into the world of chickens by accident when we rescued a hen that a coyote had attacked. Then when she was healthy, we got another hen to keep her company, but she got picked off, we think by a bird, in November. I grabbed two roosters that a neighbour was going to cull so that my hen would have cuddle company (even though I've been told that the formula should be 1 rooster per 10+ chickens... oops) and in this frigid cold snap we're going through, they all seem fine. I can't wait till spring when my hubby plans to build a new coop (we're using the neighbour's). It will be insulated and heated so I don't have to worry next winter.

I like to free range my chickens even though there are always hazards. I think that now that I have the roosters, they will help protect the flock from predators (I notice even in the coop, they're always looking around)... and our neighbour's German shepherd helps too... I'm on a dead end road so we don't worry too much about traffic, and I'm surprised at how the chickens seem to know instinctively what their boundaries are. Have you considered putting up fences where you don't want them to go, or is that too much area?

Welcome to BYC... I love this group!
    Lonnie

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    Quote:Hey Rooster-Red... why do you wrangle possums?

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Nice looking chickens you have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by