Introducing 1 chicken to a flock of 1

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kashifk95, Dec 9, 2016.

1. kashifk95

kashifk95 Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Hi All,

I have two chickens, both whom were meant to be hens but one turned out to be a cockerel. I contacted the supplier and he may arrange a replacement hen (we are currently discussing this).

My question is how well would a new hen get along with my current hen? (I have no other chickens if I replace the cockerel)

Many thanks,
    Kashif

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Whilst I have never done this, I can't see there being any real difference (possibly apart from things being easier) than adding any new chicken to a flock. This approach springs to mind as being a good way to go about things - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method

There will still be some territorial / dominance behaviour from your original bird, but things should sort themselves out quite quickly, I would imagine.

1 person likes this.
  3. zekaryah

zekaryah Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2016
    MC DONALD tenneessee
    MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE PLUS AGE SO THE SMALLER ONE DONT GET PICKED ON

4. Look no touch for a few days......Single bird to bird introductions are a lot easier to do than single bird to a flock......

Have no worries!

Cheers!

5. zekaryah

zekaryah Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2016
    MC DONALD tenneessee
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by