Introducing 2 young hens to single hen

Csukraw

Hatching
Jul 6, 2019
So we have a single 4-5 month old Light Brahma hen (her partner turned out to be a rooster so we found him a new home a month ago or so) who lives outside in the coop. We got 2 more chicks (Buff Orpington and Americana) which are now around 5-6 weeks old. They currently live in the garage in a brooder. They're about ready to move outside (California so the weather is really warm) and we're wondering the best course of action to introduce them to the older one.

We've had them outside together a couple times recently in a neutral part of the yard and the older one seemed pretty calm around them. Not paying much attention and grazing along side them. Since there really isn't an existing "flock" for them to join, what would be the quickest process to get them all 3 living in the same coop?

Attachments

• 20190818_150914.jpg
    20190818_150914.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 13
Trade places for a day, let the littles explore the outside coop/run without being chased or harassed. Put the older bird where you have the chicks. Then put the older bird back in the coop as close to dark as you can.

Add a hide out or two to the run, and a roost in the run, and two feed dishes, out of sight of each other... and I think you would be good to go.

Mrs K

Holy Moly - that is a tiny set up. Those are just darling, but are really too small. I would not lock them in that. If it gets very hot where you are, it could be way too hot for the birds.

Generally, I would let them just do what you are doing, the older bird may lead the younger ones into the coop, and if she does, that is fine, but if not, I would not force it. Once they get bigger, they might roost on top of it.

If you have very mild winters, you might section that whole thing off, and go as high as you can, and add some roosts, but even just three birds need more space than that.

Good luck

Mrs k

Since there really isn't an existing "flock" for them to join, what would be the quickest process to get them all 3 living in the same coop?
How big is the coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics(inside and out) would help immensely here.

This is good advice...
Trade places for a day, let the littles explore the outside coop/run without being chased or harassed. Put the older bird where you have the chicks. Then put the older bird back in the coop as close to dark as you can.

Add a hide out or two to the run, and a roost in the run, and two feed dishes, out of sight of each other... and I think you would be good to go.

Mrs K

I think either you could introduce the older one to only one of the chicks first and then incorporate the other one in, or just put them together all at once. With such a small flock I think they’ll be fine.

Have read the "see but no touch" method the safest and works ... Put the young ones in a wire cage with food/water, put the cage in the coop. See how that goes for a few days, if no issues remove the young ones from the cage. Continue with all of them "free ranging" but under supervision. See how that goes for a few days, if all goes well, you're set just keep a close eye until you're really comfortable.

Here is the coop. Going to add to the run to fill the dirt area on the right. The enclosed coop should be OK for all 3. They have been outside a handful of times together now and all seem to get along just fine. They instinctively stay together on their own as well.

I'm going to add to the run this weekend. Then should I put them together when it gets dark in the enclosed coop? Leave them together overnight a few nights but separated during the day for a bit until we're sure they're good to go? Or is that too sudden?

Attachments

• 20190822_184258.jpg
    20190822_184258.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
We're in Southern California, so weather is mild. They're in the enclosed space (about 6 Sq ft) only at night when it's dark. And in the run (about 20 Sq ft once expanded) during the day. They also come out of the run at least a couple times a day as well for free time in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom