Introducing 3 EE into a flock of 6 (all hens)

One bully - pull that bird, get the new one going with the others, later add the bully back in. If she is truly wicked, keep her out of sight for several days, knocks her down a few pegs.

Do have hideouts, roosts, escape routes, platforms, and multiple feed bowls.

Mrs K
One bully. she is sleeping in the coop of shame tonight by herself. I should keep her in there for a few days?

Would really love to see photos of your set up, both coop and run, to be able to advise on if the space and clutter is sufficient or if you should add more. Some pecking from the older birds is normal and expected, so it's up to you to make sure the younger ones have sufficient avenues of escape and enough space to put respectful distance between themselves and the older ones, so it doesn't trigger further incidents.
how long do you let it go on before it gets too much. Thats what im worried bout.

how long do you let it go on before it gets too much. Thats what im worried bout.

"As long as no actual injuries occur and no one is prevented from eating/drinking, etc., I'd let them sort it out themselves." I recently had a hen pick up a chick and throw it a couple of feet, and I did not step in, as the baby was not injured. The chicks quickly learned to avoid that particular hen.

How long is the trick. Pull her out, let the rest of the flock to calm down. Excitement of the new birds can cause aggression. While she is out, rearrange the clutter in your run, or add quite a bit more. Most runs I see on here are mostly empty, very boring 2 dimensional space. So empty, that a bird can be seen by every other bird in the run. Those runs make integration hard.

I call it bowing to the queen. Two birds come together, one is lower, and gives way, even disappears for a moment. Peace. However, if two birds come together, and the queen gives a peck, and the lower bird does not move out of sight, the queen gives a bigger peck and a chase, still the bird is right there in her face, now the aggression becomes even more. The queen does not realize that there is no place for the bird to go. It can get ugly.

Thing is, I have seen birds bow and disappear, to 15 seconds later come right back and eat out of the same bowl right next to the queen. That is what you want.

I would pull that girl for three days, but no more because that can swing things the other way. I am not a great believer in separation, as it can cause more problems. I want my flock to be together. However, some birds will not work in a particular flock. I have been known to remove them from the flock. That is flock management.

Mrs K

This is so frustrating. I took the two BR out because they were bullies. After about 3 days, everyone else was getting along well enough. I put the two BR back in there this morning, and they are doing the same crap. Ive got plenty of food, places to hide, etc. I just dont know how much of this is normal, and I should let it play out, vs the new ones are in trouble?

Start again and after some days just try with only one of the bullying BRs.

Could you have them all free ranging for a couple of hours a day? This would keep the BRs busy.

Start again and after some days just try with only one of the bullying BRs.

Could you have them all free ranging for a couple of hours a day? This would keep the BRs busy.

I could. I lost two ducks last week though, so something is out there (although probably only at night). Might be worth the risk. Stupid question, what is to keep them from just wondering off? I mean I see FR chickens all the time, but Ive always wondered this.

I could. I lost two ducks last week though, so something is out there (although probably only at night). Might be worth the risk. Stupid question, what is to keep them from just wondering off? I mean I see FR chickens all the time, but Ive always wondered this.

To keep them where you want them, you could use electric poultry netting which also keeps predator at bay. At least those without wings.

I gave up. Twice we went out there and two of the EE were in a corner with their heads buried and a chicken was on top of them pecking away. I moved all 3 EE back into their own coop. Plenty of area to walk around and be safe.

im all for letting them figure/fight it out, but the EE weren't fighting back- it was pretty sad looking.

As soon as the EE start laying their self esteem will rise and you could start to integrate putting only one BR in the EE coop.

Back
Top Bottom