introducing 3 hens which are getting pecked majorly rooster main 1

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maoriauctions, Apr 4, 2008.

1. maoriauctions

maoriauctions Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2007
    i have 3 new hens to add to my present flock of 3 hens and one rooster, so far its just disastares, i actually had 4 hens but one disapeard. From what i can see the rooster is the main culpurt. i have the 3 hens seperated but i really dont know what to do, im thinking the rooster gonna have to go but then im not sure if the hens will carry on doing this i really need some advice quick please

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* What kind of damage do the hens have? Feathers missing, bare backs, actual wounds??

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

IF this is a new introduction of 3 new hens, I would suspect that it's the hens, not the roo. They will take about 2 - 3 weeks to work it out. It's tough being a hen and having to deal with the pecking order. Good luck to you and your 'new' hens.

4. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    they are bleeding pretty bad one in particular, so do i leav them to it? guess its a female thing huh gee typical

5. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Separate any that have blood until they heal. A wound is like a homing beacon for chickens.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Bleeding pretty bad-- from where?? She'll probably need to be treated.

7. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    from the back of the neck there are two, what can i do for them until i can get them to someone prob wont be for a day or two

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*separate the 2 bleeding hens from the rest. Wash the wounds with soap and water, treat the wounds with neosporin. Are you able to post pics of the wounds if they are quite bad??

9. maoriauctions

Nov 22, 2007
    i cant both my cameras arent working dam it. What is neosporin

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Neosporin is an antibiotic first-aid ointment that you can buy at any drugstore, grocery store, or Wal-mart. Do separate these bleeding hens and treat them as soon as possible. The wounds &blood incites the others to do even more damage and will make pecking a problem you'll have a lot of. . . [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by