Introducing a goose to indoor cats

Kalsti

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I need information on how to introduce indoor older cats to my new goose. Can they live together ok? How best to do this?
Thanks!

How old is your goose, how big, and how big are your cats? Every cat is certainly different! When raising chicks, and in the past with goslings, we were very careful about the cats and did our best to make it clear that the fowl were off limits. Once they began maturing, though, our cats lost interest. This is especially true of the geese, who were much bigger than the cats. They were actually more likely to go after the cats then the cats were to go after them!

It's worth noting though that these were cats who were allowed outside, and that the fowl were only in the house when they were babies. Most interactions afterward were outside. If you're planning to keep your goose indoors, I'm not sure what problems you'd face besides cats being annoyed at a new home addition! ;)

Thanks again!! "Joey the Goose" stands about 2.5 ft. tall and my two male cats are orange marmalade average size cats. But all of these guys are not young....so I wondered how they would all take to each other. The goose will ideally live outside but I need to find a good, safe and aesthetic-looking pen for her so she can be outside once she heals up.....Do you know of any websites that have info on this?

Thanks again!! "Joey the Goose" stands about 2.5 ft. tall and my two male cats are orange marmalade average size cats. But all of these guys are not young....so I wondered how they would all take to each other. The goose will ideally live outside but I need to find a good, safe and aesthetic-looking pen for her so she can be outside once she heals up.....Do you know of any websites that have info on this?
here's what we built for our 2 geese, mostly used recycled material. also go to the search at top of page and type in goose houses you'll see others as well

Back
Top Bottom