introducing a new duck

nickfenn

Hatching
Aug 1, 2015
I have 2 ducks (one male and one female ) they're about 17 weeks old and he's starting to mount her. Was wondering about getting another duck soon so he would give the current female a break. They are inseparable and so I was wondering if it was a good idea to introduce another duck to their flock?

@Amiga I have the same situation...a pekin drake and a black swedish duck. They are great friends and mates, but I am hoping to add another female to the mix. I am clueless about where to obtain one mature female and how to introduce her to the others.

Veterinarians often are contacted when someone cannot keep their ducks any longer, I don't know of any waterfowl rescues near you, but ask around on the Where Am I Where Are You forum. Check also the Free Rehoming Forum. Mostly males, but sometimes there are females, and you could post a new thread here on the Duck Forum.

Several months ago I told some folks involved with rescue that I was looking for three young female Runners. I now have three youngsters (all under 18 months as far as we can tell). They are Runner size, more or less (Rowena, definitely less), but each one of them is a gem!

Introducktions require much intuition on your part, just want to get that written out up front.

Side by side, divided with temporary fence at first, hand out treats to everyone in sight of each other to associate that party atmosphere with being together.

When you feel the time is right, let them spend a little time together in a supervised area. A little poking, a little shoving, a little chasing are okay. Sumo wrestling, biting, flailing, not okay. More treats. Then timeout till next time.

When you feel they are okay together in the larger area (day area), start giving them increasing unsupervised time.

You may want to keep them separate at night still.

Now, you might end up with a happy situation - some ducks just hit it off almost instantly. Romy and Michele were okay with the Runners, and vice versa, within 2 hours.

Bean, Carmella and Hazel are still their own group. I think it's because they were together so very long without any other duck contact, and that Bean is a boy. As drakes go, he is one of the best. But he has a fixation on Romy, and the Runners seem very possessive of Romy, and yi yi yi yi
he.gif

Many Pekins, boys and girls, are dumped a couple of months after Easter. You might start cruising some ponds. And plan your own rescue.

Remember to quarantine and have a fecal test done on the new girl - better than having to treat all three.

Oh, and some folks find ducks on Craigslist - they also sometimes find heartbreaking situations....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom