Introducing a new roo

Desiree Brown

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Schoharie NY
My sons WCB Polish rooster disappeared the other day. My son has been working so hard reasearching and taking care of his chickens. He just joined 4H and was planning on showing and breeding. I feel so bad for him. We can't find another WCB Polish roo in our area so he settled on a Silkie roo for now bc he is getting NN chicks next week to breed next year ( so he can have show girls) until he can find another WCB. My question is: we have only 2 adults EE hens right now. How hard is it to introduce a roo?

I had six barred Rocks and eight Maran's, when I got my new roo I just put him in their pen and stood there watching for a while. The top hen pecked at him a little but after a bit he pecked back and everything was fine. Now you should probably quarantine him before but I hate leaving them by themselves, if there's a few its easier. If your hens are considerably bigger then the roo I may keep him in a see through cage within the chicken coop to get them used to him. Also you/or your son would know your hens best, if they are flightly/aggressive birds do a slow introduction. if they are really friendly chances are things will be just fine :)

Thank you! That's probably what I'm going to do. I'm hoping things go smoth. My hens are docil I don't think they will cause a problem. I don't want to leave him alone either lol I just never introduced a roo before and didn't know if there was a better way.

Great!! My hens tested him once and then welcomed him. I'm actually shocked at how easy it was. I hope the transition for my baby's go just as smoth. Thanks for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom