introducing a new rooster

paigelogan00

Hatching
Jun 20, 2016
Norther Virginia
I have taken in a polish rooster that has been bullied at his previous home. I have him in a hutch alone but in sight of ducks and chickens. I am not sure when I should introduce him to the other roosters and hens. My other roosters and hens are only about 4 months old and I am not sure the age of this polish fella. I also have a flock of 1 and a half month old chickens that I have thought of introducing him to. I am trying to figure out the best way to do this without any blood shed. Any ideas?

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

@paigelogan00 it is very good you decided to get help before rushing into something that could injure your flock. First I just wanted to welcome you to our roost here at BYC and I hope you stay here for a long time! As for your question my first action if I were you is check the size. Different chickens may grow at different sizes, but in a chickens size when they are dominant they think more about size then age. This way if you make sure your chickens are the same size when you introduce them the rooster should be able to do his job with no violence to him or from him. As for your younger chicks definitely wait a few months maybe about 3 or 4 before introducing them and do not put them in the same coop until the size is relatively similar. I wish you the best of luck to you and your flock and I hope you can merge soon and have one big happy flock!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for your suggestion. I moved my Seramas over with the month and a half old chicks and put the rooster in with the ducks for now and he seems happy at the moment. The ducks dont bother him and he doesnt bother the ducks. The chicks are just a bit bigger then my Seramas but there has been no issue with the pecking order yet. I will keep a close eye on them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom