Introducing a Older Hen to a Small flock

spunky-chicken

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
So I just rescued a hen off of the side of a highway (no farm in sight) and am trying to introduce it to the flock. Problem is she's getting in some pretty big fights. The top hen in my flock has already proven dominance but now the newbie is beating up the lesser birds. Should I just let this happen or seperate them?

Did you just bring her home and toss her in? A side of the road rescue might be harbouring parasites or worse, so usually its recommended to quarantine but if she's in, she's in. Did you keep her separate from the flock so they could get acquainted before being able to touch each other? How bad are the fights? Do you have multiple feed and water stations? Hows the clutter in your run? I know it seems like a lot of questions, but there are a few things that can make this a bit easier on your flock and new girl if we know what steps you've taken and what your setup is like. It can be notoriously difficult to get a lone hen integrated but it is doable. It can take a bit of time and effort to keep anyone from getting badly injured but a rescue is a noble cause.

So... I just put her in the yard away from the others and let them mingle if they wanted too. The original fight was pretty bad but now it's kind of the routine fluff up and chase off thing. They haven't shared food or water yet

Do you have a wire dog crate by chance you can put her in with food and water? So she can eat without stress and give her a chance to settle in after what must have been a horrible shocking experience on the side of the highway? If you're set on fast tracking the integration process just keep an eye out for serious bullying and anyone driving her away from the feed and water. Are your chickens in a coop and run?

I setup just that, chickens in run and loner in crate with food. Guess I'll try mingling them again tomorrow and I know someone who will take her if it doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom