1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a rooster to existing flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gunny69, Sep 12, 2010.

1. gunny69

gunny69 New Egg

Jan 21, 2009
    I have an existing mixed flock of hens. I was told that a rooster would increase my decreased egg production. Is this true? How old of a rooster should I introduce if is true? They are 18 months old. I was getting 24 to 31 eggs per day:/ last winter and now 10 to 15.[​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Generally a rooster has nothing to do with egg production. However, I personally have seen where a rooster stirs up some excitement in an otherwise bored flock and production increases. If you decide to add a rooster, be sure he is older than the hens as they will attack a young, immature rooster. Goos luck..........Pop

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A rooster has no impact on egg production. I would guess that the decreasd production is a natural result of the aging process. Your hens are getting older. Production decreases as age increases.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Besides age, the days are getting shorter, which usually results in fewer eggs, and they, or some of them, could be moulting.

Often, flocks do seem happier with a roo present. Besides, you could make your own chicks with fertile eggs. But I can't believe it would affect egg production, as Pop already said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by