Introducing a young roo in with flock with established roo..

chickboss

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
I have a mixed flock of various breeds with a BR/cross roo. There are nine hens in there now, but I am about to add four more which would be thirteen. I have, growing them out right now, a pair of Light Brahmas, a roo and a hen, that if at all possible I would like to add to this group when they are old enough. That would bring the total hens up to 15. Is this a possibility, or am I just looking for trouble. I would do introductions slowly, and they would be monitored, but just wanted to see if I should bag the idea and make a little tractor or something for the pair. Thanks!

ETA: If it is a possibility, should I add them into the flock while still on the young side, or wait until fully mature? I was thinking kind of on the young side before the younger Roo hits puberty to make him less threatening, but I don't want him defenseless either.

Last edited:
its possible that if you introduce the youngsters before the younger rooster becomes of age to crow and go after girls, there will not be much trouble. However, when he gets hormonal, the other rooster will probably target him as a treat and intruding on his territory. It doesnt mean the fighting will be serious, but could be. You could try introducing them but monitor them through the day. Usually after a full day or so, the fighting ceases, as the order has been established. Also hens can be just as bad as roosters with fighting. As you watch, see who is being the most agressive to the younger ones, and you could remove THEM from the pen for a few days while the newer ones get settled. That will essentially put the "head cheeses" you removed back at the bottom of the order.
Worked for me quite often but not always.

For me intros when the chicks are about 6 to 8 weeks work good with my roo.

I use a small plastic dog kennel for night in the coop – chicks go in there and then in the day they go in the run, in a small section fenced for them. This way the flock gets to know the chicks without being able to hurt the chicks. After a couple weeks, I start letting the chicks out of their area when the flock gets released from the run for free range. The chicks usually hang in the run for a couple weeks (I still put them in the kennel at night) and then start going out exploring like the big birds. The chicks will eventually start putting themselves up to bed at night in the kennel and then I stop closing the kennel door. At about 14/15 weeks the “chicks” usually start hanging with the flock and are integrated into it fairly smoothly.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, those hens can be just as much trouble, LOL. I'll remember that about taking the agressive girls away for a bit, makes sense. I have to recheck how old these Brahmas are now. They are so huge, I keep thinking they are older than they really are. LOL. Sizewise, they could probably move in with this month.

Quote:
OH, that is fantasitc! I have lots of little carriers, kennels, that would be perfect!

Back
Top Bottom