Introducing an older rooster to young pullets

Rynoranch

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2022
I have 10 ten to eleven week old pullets and a frizzle Batam Cochin rooster. I would like to introduce another rooster to our flock for breeding and protection. I have a feeling out frizzle rooster won’t do the job 😂 the rooster I am thinking of introducing is a 8 month old rooster. What do you guys think? Or should I try to find a rooster the same age? Thanks.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

frizzle Batam Cochin rooster

Is he a *rooster* -- a mature adult male -- or a young cockerel like the pullets?

What do you plan on doing with him if you add the older male, who is unlikely to tolerate competition?

Welcome to BYC. If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

Is he a *rooster* -- a mature adult male -- or a young cockerel like the pullets?

What do you plan on doing with him if you add the older male, who is unlikely to tolerate competition?
Thank you!! I’ll do that.

No he is 9 weeks old. I was told that he would most likely get along with another rooster due to small size, so I was planning on keeping him.

Males are a gamble. There are no guarantees. It could work or they could fight. Especially in another month or 2 as all the young birds come into their hormones.
Ahh gotcha. So if I were to rehome the frizzle cockerel (I’m still learning the correct terminology 🤭), do you think an older rooster could fit in with my young pullets?

I would not add a rooster to the flock until your pullets are laying. To often it causes more problems then it is worth. I would keep a dang close eye on the one you have now, and be ready to remove him if there is a problem.

They don't call it cock fighting for nothing, all you need to do is introduce to strange birds to each other, and generally speaking the fight is on.

You could get a miracle and they get along...for a while, or forever, or not at all, then you need a plan set up and ready to go, to separate them. Multiple roosters multiply the chance of things going wrong.

Mrs K

He'd be rather frustrated until they were old enough to lay eggs and mate. It *might* work, or it might be a disaster.

Why are you unsatisfied with the existing male?
I don’t want to pass along the frizzle gene to my future chicks. Also they free range so I wanted a rooster that could look a little more “scary” lol

I would not add a rooster to the flock until your pullets are laying. To often it causes more problems then it is worth. I would keep a dang close eye on the one you have now, and be ready to remove him if there is a problem.

They don't call it cock fighting for nothing, all you need to do is introduce to strange birds to each other, and generally speaking the fight is on.

You could get a miracle and they get along...for a while, or forever, or not at all, then you need a plan set up and ready to go, to separate them. Multiple roosters multiply the chance of things going wrong.

Mrs K
Okay thank you for your insight. I’ll hold off then for a while just to be safe.

I don’t want to pass along the frizzle gene to my future chicks. Also they free range so I wanted a rooster that could look a little more “scary” lol

Unwanted genes are certainly a good reason to sell a bird. If he's pretty and has a good disposition you might even be able to get more than the cost of a chicken dinner for him.

Back
Top Bottom