Introducing Bantams to Large Fowl

9SpiceyChickens

Free Ranging
Jul 24, 2018
In the coop, Northern CA
Currently we have 2 Large Fowl hens, Sephora , 3.5lb EE, and Sephora, 5.5lb GLW.
We are getting 2 Bantam Leghorns.
How to do we introduce them?

*I'm not looking for coop size and "Oh your coop is too small", please just answer my question!

Thanks!

Introduce them (after proper isolation first for health safety), by fence to fence exposure. After a few days, often a week, of seeing each other, then turn them out to range together. Watch.

Many large fowl birds can interact with bantams with no issues. Some large fowl seem bent on making life miserable for their smaller companions. Be prepared to have a permanent plan B if a larger bird just won't let the smaller bird alone.

Since you are getting birds that look similar to your larger fowl, versus Silkies with that horribly tempting head knot to peck, it is likely, as long as your girls are pretty chill, that they will integrate with only the usual amount of flock reordering.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

LofMc

Introduce them (after proper isolation first for health safety), by fence to fence exposure. After a few days, often a week, of seeing each other, then turn them out to range together. Watch.

Many large fowl birds can interact with bantams with no issues. Some large fowl seem bent on making life miserable for their smaller companions. Be prepared to have a permanent plan B if a larger bird just won't let the smaller bird alone.

Since you are getting birds that look similar to your larger fowl, versus Silkies with that horribly tempting head knot to peck, it is likely, as long as your girls are pretty chill, that they will integrate with only the usual amount of flock reordering.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

LofMc

Sephora, the larger one is protective of food, so we were thinking of adding another feed station. The water is so big they can drink on either side without seeing each other.

Currently we have 2 Large Fowl hens, Sephora , 3.5lb EE, and Sephora, 5.5lb GLW.
We are getting 2 Bantam Leghorns.
How to do we introduce them?

*I'm not looking for coop size and "Oh your coop is too small", please just answer my question!

Thanks!
Like you would any other birds :) (see LofMc's post)
I sure know that my mixed group doesn't appear ruled by size at all. My top bird is a mottled Bantam Cochin. It's funny to see her put a big ol Brahma in her place.

:frow
I would use a see but can't touch approach (such as a portable dog crate) and monitor closely when they are together.
I have a couple bantams that get along with standard size because they were brooded together. Other than those particular ones I choose to keep the sizes in separate pens.
Good luck!

Carefully.

Big chickens pick on smaller chickens - chicken social order is much like mean girls in high school. Bantams raised with large fowl can do quite well. Bantams introduced to an established flock will most likely become targets. Monitored integration after quarantine, multiple feed and water stations, hiding places - MAY or May not make the integration possible. Bantam leghorns can be somewhat flighty and timid (I once raised and showed them). This will make the integration even more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom