Introducing Birds on Bridgepath

Ljnelson252

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
Hello!

I found this forum while researching ways to help my duck with an infection. I’m still battling this issue and may make a separate post later if I can’t find the answer in another post.

I started my flocks a few years ago. We hatched chickens through my work at the local elementary school and I kept some of them for programming purposes. I have 5 chickens (2 hen and 1 rooster Leghorns & 2 Rhode Island Red hens) from that project, kept at a separate location.

At home I hatched Rouen and Welsh Harlequin ducks. I’ve only got 4 of the 7 I kept left from that hatching and have just recently added 3 new ducks from TS to the flock (1 Pekin, not sure the breeds of the other two they weren’t well versed at TS to be able to tell me). I also picked up 4 bantam chicks in a variety of breeds. One turned out to be a rooster and just started crowing yesterday which I find to be the most hilarious sound. The bantams are still in their temporary pen but get let out regularly. I have to make a decision soon to move them in with he ducks (the ducks seem to be afraid of them), take them to work to put with the big birds (I’m worried the big birds will not take kindly to them), or build a separate coop for them (my boyfriend is not excited about that option).

On the farm we also have 6 mixed angus cows; one of which is my bottle fed steer who will get to live out his days on the farm. And finally two dogs. One attempts to help my round up the birds at night (she’s a hound mix so not very good at it) and the other is a long retired duck hunting dog in her golden years (she pays no mind to anything surprisingly).

That’s my farm as it is. My dream would be to have it be a fully independent homestead eventually, but work, weather, and time always seem to push that dream further away. Hoping I can get some tips and tricks on this forum to help with that dream.

Hello!

I found this forum while researching ways to help my duck with an infection. I’m still battling this issue and may make a separate post later if I can’t find the answer in another post.

I started my flocks a few years ago. We hatched chickens through my work at the local elementary school and I kept some of them for programming purposes. I have 5 chickens (2 hen and 1 rooster Leghorns & 2 Rhode Island Red hens) from that project, kept at a separate location.

At home I hatched Rouen and Welsh Harlequin ducks. I’ve only got 4 of the 7 I kept left from that hatching and have just recently added 3 new ducks from TS to the flock (1 Pekin, not sure the breeds of the other two they weren’t well versed at TS to be able to tell me). I also picked up 4 bantam chicks in a variety of breeds. One turned out to be a rooster and just started crowing yesterday which I find to be the most hilarious sound. The bantams are still in their temporary pen but get let out regularly. I have to make a decision soon to move them in with he ducks (the ducks seem to be afraid of them), take them to work to put with the big birds (I’m worried the big birds will not take kindly to them), or build a separate coop for them (my boyfriend is not excited about that option).

On the farm we also have 6 mixed angus cows; one of which is my bottle fed steer who will get to live out his days on the farm. And finally two dogs. One attempts to help my round up the birds at night (she’s a hound mix so not very good at it) and the other is a long retired duck hunting dog in her golden years (she pays no mind to anything surprisingly).

That’s my farm as it is. My dream would be to have it be a fully independent homestead eventually, but work, weather, and time always seem to push that dream further away. Hoping I can get some tips and tricks on this forum to help with that dream.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom