Introducing Broody Hen back to flock with Chicks....

I need advice please... I have a hen, americauna bantam that was very determined to be a momma so we snug chicks under her. She did well and raised them for 5 weeks now. I have them in a smaller coop in the run since the chicks were a day old. Now I have one of my silkies broody and I ordered some chicks for her as well but I am not sure if I can add her into the nursery with my bantam and her Chicks? Help please???

I need advice please... I have a hen, americauna bantam that was very determined to be a momma so we snug chicks under her. She did well and raised them for 5 weeks now. I have them in a smaller coop in the run since the chicks were a day old. Now I have one of my silkies broody and I ordered some chicks for her as well but I am not sure if I can add her into the nursery with my bantam and her Chicks? Help please???
I wouldn't. The older batch is old enough to go back to the coop so let them out to integrate into the flock.

Amber and her adopted babies.

I should mention that we are not able to free range. Our ladies have a large run that is under construction right now since we are adding grass areas
263a.png
. We live in city limits. Also we have a larger mixed flock (we have 21 hens including sebrights, silkies, rocks, welsummers, rir, sex links, old English, d'uccle just to name a few..)

You will need to supervise and see how it goes. If it takes longer you may have to put up another temporary pen. I usually integrate a broody and her chicks back to the flock at about 1-2 weeks of age. Sometimes it goes well other times it can take a few times of releasing and separating.

Chick that are 1-2 weeks of age can have troubles keeping up with mom, so I like to give them a bit of time to get stronger so they can get away from other chickens and find their way back to mom easily.

Good morning! I just read through this entire thread and it was interesting!! I am a newbie chicken owner, my flock is a year old this month. I was lucky to get two broodies this spring and have successfully hatched around 15 chicks between the two. It's hard to count them because they are not all out at once... so it is an approx. number. There are also about 6 more eggs under broody #2 not yet hatched.

I thought I had made some mistakes along the way but then maybe not after reading this post, so thanks!!

My broodies are sharing the setting and the raising of these chicks, it's really quite fun to watch. I am a crazy person I am told because I will sit in the coop for hours just watching and taking pictures LOL! Chicken TV.... Anyhow, I digress....

I did not separate the broodies because I felt as you do that chickens should be left to do what chickens do and as you would suspect, other hens laid their eggs in the same nest box when the broody was away. (this is my only cause for concern doing it this way) So I have a very staggered flock of chicks right now with the first hatching on the 12th of April and so far the latest hatched yesterday....

I also found a dead chick in the coop one morning (My two roosters fight when confined so I think it got stepped on ) and so placed a makeshift cage over the broodies and the chicks mostly to protect them from getting stepped on....well now my first broody who is done sitting on eggs and has hatched 8 out of her 10 eggs (2 duds) is getting restless I think to start getting out. So today after work I am going to start removing the cage during the day and then placing it back over them at night. My flock free ranges all day in a 3 acre pasture with the horses so I think with plenty of room, the chicks will be fine. It's just at night when the roosters get fussy locked in the coop, I don't want them accidentally stepping on chicks.

As of now, my broodies are amazing because they share everything and sometimes even the same nest box. I think they do this because there are so many chicks and its easy to squeeze all of them between the two hens???? But who knows if I am right or not. It's just great to watch them.

I have been watching other hens and they seem very curious but are not aggressive (so far) towards the chicks. While they are laying their eggs in other boxes, the chicks visit with them and they just cock their heads with curiosity and go about their business. But I haven't seem all 10 hens interact yet. The roosters seem fine if not a little curious themselves. My big concern will be when the hens take the chicks out for the first time. My chickens and horses share the same pasture and I am concerned with one of my horses who likes to chase the chickens sometimes. I'm afraid he will step on the chicks. Hopefully the mommas will keep the chicks out of their way.

So just thought I would stop by and share my newbie experience with you all and say I am glad I found others who feel that we should just let chickens be chickens.
frow.gif

Good morning!  I just read through this entire thread and it was interesting!!  I am a newbie chicken owner, my flock is a year old this month.  I was lucky to get two broodies this spring and have successfully hatched around 15 chicks between the two.  It's hard to count them because they are not all out at once...  so it is an approx. number.  There are also about 6 more eggs under broody #2 not yet hatched.

I thought I had made some mistakes along the way but then maybe not after reading this post, so thanks!!

My broodies are sharing the setting and the raising of these chicks, it's really quite fun to watch.  I am a crazy person I am told because I will sit in the coop for hours just watching and taking pictures LOL!  Chicken TV....  Anyhow, I digress....

I did not separate the broodies because I felt as you do that chickens should be left to do what chickens do and as you would suspect, other hens laid their eggs in the same nest box when the broody was away. (this is my only cause for concern doing it this way) So I have a very staggered flock of chicks right now with the first hatching on the 12th of April and so far the latest hatched yesterday.... 

I also found a dead chick in the coop one morning (My two roosters fight when confined so I think it got stepped on ) and so placed a makeshift cage over the broodies and the chicks mostly to protect them from getting stepped on....well now my first broody who is done sitting on eggs and has hatched 8 out of her 10 eggs (2 duds) is getting restless I think to start getting out.  So today after work I am going to start removing the cage during the day and then placing it back over them at night.  My flock free ranges all day in a 3 acre pasture with the horses so I think with plenty of room, the chicks will be fine.  It's just at night when the roosters get fussy locked in the coop, I don't want them accidentally stepping on chicks.

As of now, my broodies are amazing because they share everything and sometimes even the same nest box.  I think they do this because there are so many chicks and its easy to squeeze all of them between the two hens????  But who knows if I am right or not.  It's just great to watch them.

I have been watching other hens and they seem very curious but are not aggressive (so far) towards the chicks.  While they are laying their eggs in other boxes, the chicks visit with them and they just cock their heads with curiosity and go about their business.   But I haven't seem all 10 hens interact yet.  The roosters seem fine if not a little curious themselves.  My big concern will be when the hens take the chicks out for the first time.  My chickens and horses share the same pasture and I am concerned with one of my horses who likes to chase the chickens sometimes.  I'm afraid he will step on the chicks.  Hopefully the mommas will keep the chicks out of their way.

So just thought I would stop by and share my newbie experience with you all and say I am glad I found others who feel that we should just let chickens be chickens. :frow
Its always an adventure isn't it, but a joy to watch then do more natural behaviors which modern day chickens don't always get to experience. I have experienced roosters that look after chicks, whether they have a mom or not.

Back
Top Bottom