Introducing Chicks and Mamas back to flock.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KrystalRose, Mar 13, 2015.

1. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    I am trying to decide the best way to reintroduce my chicks/mama back to the flock I have. Here is what I have:

My main flock is 13 hens (not including my broody mamas), and 1 nice rooster. they are in a large shed size coop that is roughly 8x15 and they have an enclosed outside run that is 22x22. They aren't allowed to free range. They are mostly nice except my gang of 4 Delaware hens that can get a little feisty.

I have an EE mama with 7 babies in my built in brooder box, it cannot be seen from the main coop, but is in the adjacent room. She tends to get into a lot more fights with other adult hens, her chicks are between 3 and 2 1/2 weeks old. She is very protective of the chicks. But if I let her with my other mama hen and chicks she tries to attack the other chicks that aren't hers.

I have a second Buff mama who has 3 chicks that are about 3 weeks old in a large dog crate that is in the same room as the brooder with the other hen. I have been letting her slowly reintroduce to the flock with the chicks by letting her run in the coop with a couple other adult hens at the same time, she seems to protect them well with out starting as many fights as the first mama hen. But I am still not comfortable with just letting her and the chicks go on their own in the coop unsupervised.

I am going to move the dog crate in the main coop, but I am not sure which mama/chicks group I should put in there first. Do I put in the second Buff mama hoping she will integrate faster so I can then put the other mama in the crate in a week or so?

This is my first time with broody mamas, and introducing chicks to an adult flock, so any advice would be awesome!

[​IMG]
    Since everyone likes pictures, here are my two mamas although these pictures are a couple weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. KrystalRose

KrystalRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Finley, WA
    Or since the first EE mama is going to be harder to integrate, maybe I should put her in the crate in the coop for more face to face integration time? And just keep letting the Buff have supervised visitations with the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by