Introducing chicks in winter?

(new here hi!)

I have 3 incubated female hatchlings that are now 7 weeks and living in a playpen in my living room and starting to wander/fly. At what age do they go outside of it's 20° and snowing (zone 5)? I have a partial shed converted coop with currently 8 adult females (3 generations all shapes and sizes, and each time I've tried to introduce new girls it's been in Spring where everyone can escape to the yard) and ONE banty rooster I loathe. I'm certain the new hens would be dead or beaten up in a second if I just toss them in. So since the adults aren't really going outside (even with access because it's 12" of snow out), I feel the boredom would increase the older hens aggression? How can I successfully introduce these cuties to my other girls safely and without anyone being kicked out of the house in 20° weather (-4°F at night this week)? (Their door is automatic and I count them nightly to ensure no one is left outside but they already bully my smallest banty as it is & I've found her out in the dog house before by herself in the cold day from bullying.) Ideas? If I put them in a dog crate inside the shed/house in the same space with their own food and water but that's such a small confined and space no? Thanks in advance. I just don't want to find a frozen bird outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
In such an inhospitable winter climate zone, surely you must have a roomy enclosed run? What are the dimensions? Would it accommodate a nine square foot temporary chick pen?

The easiest way to integrate chicks is to have them spend time during the day in proximity to the adult flock so all may become acquainted. Then after about a week, after the chicks have learned the temperaments of the adults, open several chick size openings in the pen so the chicks can come and go at will, keeping their food and water inside so they always have a safe place to eat and drink.

You will continue to bring them indoors to sleep at night, but by age ten weeks, when they no longer fit through the openings in their safe pen in the run, they can then move into the coop and roost with the flock.

Turn off the heat in their brooder now, if you haven't already. They no longer require any. Spending gradually longer periods outside will acclimatize them to colder temps so they will be more than able to handle cold temps at night when the time comes to move out.

We just moved in and had the walls built to their "enclosed outdoor run" then winter hit us before we could erect it. It hit hard early this year. Now the ground is frozen and the walls are iced to the ground, and everything is 14" deep snow. I'm planning to try to dig out some of the yard for them. So they have half my shed (separated by a wall/door covered in hardware cloth so they're not in my stuff) with a chicken door to the yard & window. There's not a ton of inside space in their area for a large safe separation, unless I put the newbs in a dog crate with the openings you suggested.

Very nice suggestions, thank you. I'm brainstorming....

In such an inhospitable winter climate zone, surely you must have a roomy enclosed run? What are the dimensions? Would it accommodate a nine square foot temporary chick pen?

The easiest way to integrate chicks is to have them spend time during the day in proximity to the adult flock so all may become acquainted. Then after about a week, after the chicks have learned the temperaments of the adults, open several chick size openings in the pen so the chicks can come and go at will, keeping their food and water inside so they always have a safe place to eat and drink.

You will continue to bring them indoors to sleep at night, but by age ten weeks, when they no longer fit through the openings in their safe pen in the run, they can then move into the coop and roost with the flock.

Turn off the heat in their brooder now, if you haven't already. They no longer require any. Spending gradually longer periods outside will acclimatize them to colder temps so they will be more than able to handle cold temps at night when the time comes to move out. only have 3 banty girls to introduce. They're liluns currently in my lap on the sofa tapping my phone.... So they're off heat but live in my living room with us in whatever temps we're in. 65-75? I hate baseboard heat.

Turn off the heat in their brooder now, if you haven't already. They no longer require any. Spending gradually longer periods outside will acclimatize them to colder temps so they will be more than able to handle cold temps at night when the time comes to move out.
I only have 3 banty girls to introduce. They're liluns (currently in my lap on the sofa tapping my phone.... I'd diaper them and let them stay forever if I could) So they're off supplement heat kinda but still live in my living room with us in whatever temps we're in. 65-75? (I hate baseboard heat.) "The kids still live in the basement" and I'm trying to reclaim my space gently. Lol.

They'll never be able to acclimate to 20F living in your house. They were ready for cold weather a week or two ago with acclimation. Put them in the shed for a few days.
A simple way to deal with a lot of snow is to get a bale of straw and make paths for them to walkabout.

They'll never be able to acclimate to 20F living in your house. They were ready for cold weather a week or two ago with acclimation. Put them in the shed for a few days.
A simple way to deal with a lot of snow is to get a bale of straw and make paths for them to walkabout.
"They'll never be able to acclimate to 20F living in your house."
No S S. Why do you think I'm here for advice? Neither I nor my animals are used to this level of crazy.

Back
Top Bottom