introducing chicks of different ages

toofoul

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Hi all,
big_smile.png

I'm putting my first little flock of 4-5 birds together. I am getting some Wyandotte bantams and standard Australorps but I have to purchase at different ages in order to ensure that they are sexed and that I will have a much less chance of getting roosters. roosters are a big no no here in suburbia.
The Australorps are coming from interstate as babies and are sexed. My Wyandotte source can only offer me sexed chicks at 6 weeks old. With our mild weather, the 6 week olds can go straight in the coop apparently. In the meantime, I will have a bunch of Australorp babies in a brooder ready for rehousing after another 6 weeks. Essentially, what will happen is that the Wyandottes will already be 12 week olds when I introduce the 6 week or so Australorp chicks into the pen. do you think this will be a problem or should I try and buy chix at same ages, be they 6 weeks or day olds?
I hope this isnt too confusing:p
tongue.png

All the best my chicken friends
Adrian

Its always best to buy at the same time but it seldom works out that way.

I would gauge my decision when you are ready to combine them by the size of the chicks. If there isnt a huge difference in the size, it isnt so bad. Puttting much smaller chicks in with much larger ones can be bad. I made the mistake and ended up with trampled chicks. Not pretty.

Another factor is space. If there is lots of space there is less chance of trampling.

Hope this helps.

Hi Chickenista,
thanks for the advice. My guess is that there will be a 6 week gap between the two. As the wyandottes will be bantams maybe it wont be too bad to put regular sized Australorp chicks in with them once they reach 6 weeks? size difference might actually be relatively the same perhaps. I would definitely not put day olds in with 6 week old ones. Only one way to find out I guess.
Cheers for the advice
Adrian

Back
Top Bottom