Introducing Chicks to aggressive flock

Barrykiwi

Hatching
Oct 29, 2023
I have two 8 week old chicks that are currently separated from my 2 other hens that are around 6 months old. When we first got the chicks I tried introducing them and one of my hens puffed its feathers out and tried to chase and peck at the chick. I want to combine the coops in the next few weeks so they can all enjoy the heater. Any tips or tricks to introduce to what seems to be an aggressive hen?

No matter what you do, there will be chasing and pecking until a pecking order is established. Have you set them up so that each group can see but not touch? This way they get to know each other through wire so that when they’re combined there’s less issue. You can encourage them to meet by placing treats on each side of the fence so they’re all eating together.

No matter what you do, there will be chasing and pecking until a pecking order is established. Have you set them up so that each group can see but not touch? This way they get to know each other through wire so that when they’re combined there’s less issue. You can encourage them to meet by placing treats on each side of the fence so they’re all eating together.
The current coop I have them in is enclosed with a side window for ventilation so they can't see eachother...

The current coop I have them in is enclosed with a side window for ventilation so they can't see eachother...
Any photos? You need the chicks somewhere where the older birds can see them.

Your flock isn't aggressive BTW, this is completely normal. This is why integration is best treated as a gradual process, not a one and done thing.

When I introduced our new chicks to the existing flock, we basically had a coop inside a coop. We had a smaller, enclosed in hardware cloth, coop that we placed the chicks in. This had its own run as part of the design. We placed the coop inside the run of the existing flock. This allowed all of the birds to see each other and socialize without the risk of injuries. We kept them like this for ~2 months. When the time came for us to open the coop and let the chicks integrate, there was virtually no fighting and all the birds got along right away. They are still doing amazing ~3 months later. (keep in mind, we have 38 chickens. Results may vary with smaller flocks.)

Back
Top Bottom