Introducing chicks to an existing flock....

mightymike

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
We've had great success (so far) with our 27 chickens that we have raised from day-old chicks. They have a large coop and a very large fenced-in yard to range in. 20 of the birds are roosters and will be processed in January or February. We are keeping 6 hens and 1 rooster to try and hatch some of our own eggs next spring. We have buff orpingtons, New Hampshire reds, silver-laced wyandottes, and barred rocks. We have really enjoyed having a mixed flock.

I'd like to get another mix of a dozen more day-old roosters in late/winter early spring so I can have another harvest of meat birds in the fall.

Once the chicks are ready to come out of the brooder, will there be a big problem integrating them into the existing flock? At that point the1 rooster and 6 hens we kept will be about 7-8 months old. They will all be buff orpintons.

There is plenty of room in the coop and the yard, so I hope that will help.

Any thoughts?

Little birds should have their own pen....and if you're feeding them for butcher they need different food too as the others will be eating layer. Make a grow out pen you'll need it and be ready to make more pens seems that's what I'm always doing making more pens.....

Back
Top Bottom