Introducing chicks to chickens. I am just overreacting, right?

Would some tubs and logs work? I have lots of those.
Logs/stumps should be great. Looks like you have a tree in one corner, that provides a bit of a break as well. Tubs, it depends - are they opaque? If you don't mind ruining them (well, as working tubs) you could cut 2-3 openings at the bottom of each one so chicks can dart in and out if they need to.
I will get pictures. The rooster and hens are at my county fair this week. They will be back Sunday. Should I just wait to add the chicks until all the chickens are at home?
You don't do quarantine after they've been off the property?

Really hard to say what will happen when the other chickens return, as you're looking at a possible 3 way integration at that point.

Logs/stumps should be great. Looks like you have a tree in one corner, that provides a bit of a break as well. Tubs, it depends - are they opaque? If you don't mind ruining them (well, as working tubs) you could cut 2-3 openings at the bottom of each one so chicks can dart in and out if they need to.

You don't do quarantine after they've been off the property?

Really hard to say what will happen when the other chickens return, as you're looking at a possible 3 way integration at that point.
I didn't know I would have to quarantine them. I will be adding some logs or stumps and maybe a tub. The tubs are 2 or 3 feet wide. I can probably cut some openings in them for the chicks.

I didn't know I would have to quarantine them. I will be adding some logs or stumps and maybe a tub. The tubs are 2 or 3 feet wide. I can probably cut some openings in them for the chicks.
Quarantine is up to you. I was just asking because I wasn't sure if you've had the chickens at the fair before. Right now in my area we're still worried about the bird flu so I don't think they're even allowing poultry shows at the fairs right now.

My chickens don't leave the property and if I add new ones they're hatchery chicks, so I haven't had need to consider it.

The tubs sound like they should work especially if you add a few openings to each one. With any piece of "clutter" there should always be at least 2 points of entry/exit so chicks don't get trapped behind something/in something by adults.

Quarantine is up to you. I was just asking because I wasn't sure if you've had the chickens at the fair before. Right now in my area we're still worried about the bird flu so I don't think they're even allowing poultry shows at the fairs right now.

My chickens don't leave the property and if I add new ones they're hatchery chicks, so I haven't had need to consider it.

The tubs sound like they should work especially if you add a few openings to each one. With any piece of "clutter" there should always be at least 2 points of entry/exit so chicks don't get trapped behind something/in something by adults.
I had chickens at the fair last year and they didn't have to be quarantined. They had to get tested this year and we needed some paperwork to make sure they were safe to be at the fair. I think I am going to leave the chicks in the Big chicken cage for a week or two in a big dog crate with plenty of space for them then combine them with the adult chickens after they have gotten used to each other.

Back
Top Bottom