Introducing Chicks to the Flock

Oct 15, 2021
Hi! I recently introduced 8 7-week old ameraucana chicks to my coop, which already had one red sex link hen. The chicks are extremely scared of my hen, and will often huddle in the corner of the run to get away from her. She often chases after them and just pecks them on the back, but they have been out with her for a week and the behavior doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Is this normal? Any tips?

It is normal for the adult hen to haze the 7 week olds because of the big age and size difference.

The good news is you have a group of 7 week olds, so they can huddle together. If there is plenty of space, with lots of places for the younger birds to hide to keep away from the older bird, then this should sort out in time.

If however the older bird is severely hazing the younger birds, away from food and water (which by the way there should be several sources to avoid this), or is drawing blood, then you will need to remove the older bird and separate them until the younger birds are more adult size, often about 12 to 14 weeks of age.

LofMc

How long did you do see but no touch before letting them interact?

Any photos of your run? Do you have plenty of clutter https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140 to provide hiding spots, as well as multiple feeders and waterers spread around to prevent the hen from guarding resources?

The pecking by itself is not really a huge issue as long as she's not drawing blood, but you do need to set up to give the chicks some relief from being pursued.

I just noticed that a few of the chicks are missing some feathers, and one of them is missing a small patch of skin. I only have one food and water source, so I can add more as well as add things for them to hide in. The problem is, I only have two coops, one with seramas that would be too small for my hen, and the chicks are too big for their brooder, so I don’t really have anywhere to separate both during the day and at night. Not all 8 will be staying in the coop, as we can only fit 5 more adult birds in our coop. Thanks for the tips!

Update: I have separated the injured chick into the brooder so it can heal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I only have one food and water source, so I can add more as well as add things for them to hide in. The problem is, I only have two coops, one with seramas that would be too small for my hen, and the chicks are too big for their brooder, so I don’t really have anywhere to separate both during the day and at night. Not all 8 will be staying in the coop, as we can only fit 5 more adult birds in our coop. Thanks for the tips!

Update: I have separated the injured chick into the brooder so it can heal
You definitely would benefit from additional feeders (they don't have to be actual feeders, I use ramekins, cat food bowls, etc) as well as a lot more clutter in the run area.

So you skipped see but don't touch entirely? No point in working backwards, but they would've benefitted from having the run split at first so the hen could've gotten used to their presence without being able to access them. As it is it doesn't sound like the damage she's doing is too bad, but you still may want to source a dog crate or additional fencing material to separate her if it gets out of hand.

You definitely would benefit from additional feeders (they don't have to be actual feeders, I use ramekins, cat food bowls, etc) as well as a lot more clutter in the run area.

So you skipped see but don't touch entirely? No point in working backwards, but they would've benefitted from having the run split at first so the hen could've gotten used to their presence without being able to access them. As it is it doesn't sound like the damage she's doing is too bad, but you still may want to source a dog crate or additional fencing material to separate her if it gets out of hand.
Oh whoops, forgot to answer that part. I did three days of introduction, I first put them in a separate playpen next to the bigger run, and then the next day, I put part of the playpen into the run so the chicks could walk in and out of the run. The third day, I put the chicks in the run for them to explore and put the hen in the playpen.

Oh whoops, forgot to answer that part. I did three days of introduction, I first put them in a separate playpen next to the bigger run, and then the next day, I put part of the playpen into the run so the chicks could walk in and out of the run. The third day, I put the chicks in the run for them to explore and put the hen in the playpen.
1-2 weeks is generally the suggested period, so it was rushed a little bit. The idea is to get the adults used to the presence of the chicks, and make them less interesting, so they're less likely to want to go after them.

The playpen is still there I assume, if you need to use it?

1-2 weeks is generally the suggested period, so it was rushed a little bit. The idea is to get the adults used to the presence of the chicks, and make them less interesting, so they're less likely to want to go after them.

The playpen is still there I assume, if you need to use it?
Yes, so maybe I should use that again. The only issue is I can’t put them all back in the brooder, so they would still have to go in the coop at night, but most of the issues happen in the run, so it should be alright. Thanks you so much, you’ve been so helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom