Introducing chicks...

westchics

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Stevenson, AL
We have 11 chicks that are about 7 weeks old...at least thats what they should be according to the lady we bought them from. We also have 6 chicks that are about 4 weeks old...we bought these from Tractor Supply. We have had them in separate brooder boxes. My question is...when and how is the best way to introduce them to each other. The coop is about a week out of being finished...weather here is not cooperating. The 4 weekers are feathered out pretty good and getting some size to them but are definitely smaller than the others. Suggestions??? Advice???

Thanks!!!

I would put them together at night in the pitch dark. That way they wake up together. Be sure to provide plenty of space and extra waterers and feeders.

Neutral turf. Put them all in the coop space together. BTW, nobody will be fooled by waking up together. They will still go through the pecking order chaos no matter what you do. What it does accomplish to stick them together at night is to make it less likely you will be there to intervene when it gets light enough for them to start working it out. This can help if you are inclined to interfere too much but it can also mean something tragic happens that could have been prevented with supervised introduction. Remember, chickens are individuals so there is no way to predict exactly what will happen or how long they will take to get along. But, they will eventually work it out. It can be hard to watch, though. Pecking and charging is entirely normal behavior. As long as no blood is being drawn, everyone has access to food/water, and they can get away from each other, it will be OK.

This is how I introduce the baby's to the adults but I have also
put these cages next to each other to introduce chicks to each
other on occasions
smile.png

After a couple of days I start putting them together ...

Sounds good!! We put 3 in with the others and the bigger ones started cornering them and pecking...I think we will wait till the coop is finished to put them all together. That way they are on neurtal ground. Thanks for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom