Introducing day old chicks to mother hen with two week old chick

That's probably best. I've had a dominant hen be pretty viscous to chicks that weren't hers. I agree it's a lot easier to have the broody raise them, but the timing just needs to be better. Maybe next time!

I did a little experiment this afternoon. I put five eggs, my other hens laid, under the momma hen and she went over and has been sitting on them for the last hour. I am going to play this by ear and take one step at a time. If she is still broody by Wed, I may try and introduce four or five day old Thursday night. We shell see.

Well, the new chicks arrived this morning. One chick was pecked on pretty bad, so I choose this one to put in with the Mother hen and her baby chick.
She was stilling keeping the baby chick warm so I slipped the new one under her. All it took was about two minutes and she got up and flung it across the coop. So, my question was answered. The new baby is isolated in the brooder so I think it will be ok.

Well, the new chicks arrived this morning. One chick was pecked on pretty bad, so I choose this one to put in with the Mother hen and her baby chick.
She was stilling keeping the baby chick warm so I slipped the new one under her. All it took was about two minutes and she got up and flung it across the coop. So, my question was answered. The new baby is isolated in the brooder so I think it will be ok.

aw, look at all those cute chicks! Sorry timing didn't work out for you!

Picture of Mother hen and her fifteen day old chick she hatched. (I got the eggs off Ebay and they are Lavender Orpingtons) The new rejected chick is now with the other thirteen and doing fine. After a day and half next to the others she fit right in this morning. Boy, I wish I had a film of the mother hen when she decided not to have the newer chick around, she picked it up and flipped it six feet into the fence. Mother hens feathers were ruffled and her wings were flapping. She was so protective and mad..

Picture of Mother hen and her fifteen day old chick she hatched. (I got the eggs off Ebay and they are Lavender Orpingtons) The new rejected chick is now with the other thirteen and doing fine. After a day and half next to the others she fit right in this morning. Boy, I wish I had a film of the mother hen when she decided not to have the newer chick around, she picked it up and flipped it six feet into the fence. Mother hens feathers were ruffled and her wings were flapping. She was so protective and mad..
very pretty! and one spoiled chick, I bet!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom