Introducing dogs to chickens

CynthiaCynthia

In the Brooder
May 21, 2018
How would y’all recommend me introducing the chickens to the dogs so they understand they cannot be eaten. I have a lab and a hound and two wyandottes. They keep digging out of their coop, found them in a tree in the yard and the dogs on the bottom of the tree.

I tried introducing my dog to my chickens. Dog was fine when on a lead but when she's off the lead she chases them and scared them so I decided to cut my garden into two using a fence which I am so glad I did.! I can't leave them unattended with the dog! X

How about fixing your coop first so the chickens don't escape anymore.
Try railroad ties on the ground or laying wire mesh on the ground and slipping it under the coop perimeter, so both inside and outside have wire on the ground that will prevent hens from digging out or dogs digging in; cover it with dirt. Weigh down with large rocks or pound it into the ground with staples.

Problem solved.

Unless the mods deleted them, somewhere in this forum maze are posts I put up a year ago or so, to extensive training articles in Backyard Poultry Magazine and Countryside, on how to train LGDs on fowl that I wrote.

Keep in mind they were written for real LGD breeds, not non-LGD breeds.

Hunting breeds, breeds with prey drive, cannot be trusted to leave poultry alone and the likelihood of training older non-LGD breeds to suddenly accept fowl and guard them instead of chasing or eating them, is faint at best. Some have done it, but usually most don't or can't.

Either way, any dog expected to "be nice" around your poultry, requires extensive hands on training and encouragement and correction from their owners. This is not a "sit on the back porch and watch the dog chase hens then complain about it" deal guys. You have to participate. Fully. Daily. Several times a day.

Which is why so many people figure out (with their non-LGD breeds) it is more painless to just build a solid coop and foraging area for their birds that keeps them separate from their canines.

Last edited:
My chickens also escape. Everyday they will dig and have a dust bath in the corners and eventually make a hole! And every other day my hubby put bricks on the outside and they still manage to get out lol.
My options were put the coop on slabs (which I would have to buy) ! Or cut the garden into two with a fence which I have in the shed.. X

My dog has a strong "leave it" command, which we worked on a lot with the chickens. He was introduced slowly as chicks, then was able to be out with him for increasing amounts of time with supervision. Whenever he went to chase them, we told him to leave it, and the physically removed him from the chickens until he could calm down. Eventually, he realized that it was easier to be calm. It's taken three months, and I don't trust him completely, but he can be outside when the chickens are out now.

We also trained him to lay down in a different part of the yard when the chickens are out. If they are free ranging, he needs to be on the porch. You'll find a system that works for you, but hopefully this gives you a small idea of what we did that helped! Also, my dog is a lab mix :)

Any dog could be trained to be around chickens at any age...

I own what most people call "aggressive breed dogs" for over 10 years when I walk my dogs in the street people would continually cross the street to avoid us ,I was never able to find an apartment or house because of my dogs, and was forced to buy a house with several acres which ultimately worked out the best!!

Dogs are pack animals if your dog does not consider you the pack leader it will consider itself the pack leader and will do pretty much whatever they feel they need to.

Dogs with strong pay Drive love to chase things. The key is to get your chickens Ducks geese whatever you have to not actually be afraid of the dog and not to run away. try taking your dog to a park and letting it off leash and run the opposite direction see what they do it will most likely chase after you...

Don't listen to anybody who says dogs can't be trusted around (fill in the blank) those people ultimately know nothing about dog training.

If you go on Instagram you'll see millions and millions of pictures of crazy strong muscular Beast around babies around small animals around anything. Just Google let's say pitbulls and chicks you will see millions of pictures and videos. Those are not anomalies. Those are well-balanced dogs.

As for me my "aggressive Beasts" free-range with my chickens ducks and geese if I go to the store and don't want to put the birds inside a caged area I just make sure that I leave the dog outside to protect them. Does the dog sometimes try to play and walk towards and even a little bit of Chase the birds of course, but it's more that they want to play with the animal and just have a good doggy time. None of my birds have ever been attacked bitten or even had a feather loose cuz of my dogs...

Ultimately it's not the dog it's the trainer. It's going to take a decent amount of effort from your end but I have confidence in you my friend!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-30-08-36-19.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-30-08-36-19.png
    855.6 KB · Views: 13
Any dog could be trained to be around chickens at any age...

I own what most people call "aggressive breed dogs" for over 10 years when I walk my dogs in the street people would continually cross the street to avoid us ,I was never able to find an apartment or house because of my dogs, and was forced to buy a house with several acres which ultimately worked out the best!!

Dogs are pack animals if your dog does not consider you the pack leader it will consider itself the pack leader and will do pretty much whatever they feel they need to.

Dogs with strong pay Drive love to chase things. The key is to get your chickens Ducks geese whatever you have to not actually be afraid of the dog and not to run away. try taking your dog to a park and letting it off leash and run the opposite direction see what they do it will most likely chase after you...

Don't listen to anybody who says dogs can't be trusted around (fill in the blank) those people ultimately know nothing about dog training.

If you go on Instagram you'll see millions and millions of pictures of crazy strong muscular Beast around babies around small animals around anything. Just Google let's say pitbulls and chicks you will see millions of pictures and videos. Those are not anomalies. Those are well-balanced dogs.

As for me my "aggressive Beasts" free-range with my chickens ducks and geese if I go to the store and don't want to put the birds inside a caged area I just make sure that I leave the dog outside to protect them. Does the dog sometimes try to play and walk towards and even a little bit of Chase the birds of course, but it's more that they want to play with the animal and just have a good doggy time. None of my birds have ever been attacked bitten or even had a feather loose cuz of my dogs...

Ultimately it's not the dog it's the trainer. It's going to take a decent amount of effort from your end but I have confidence in you my friend!!

I am really hoping this is the case with my "Beast". She is 65 lbs of laziness. I will find out later this week how she reacts.

My 2 & 3 year old German Shepherds went from residential neighborhood dogs to "farm dogs" on 80 acres a few months ago. They'd never seen a lamb, chicken, duck, pig or deer. And boy do they need to be worked with on it. They have a space set up to be free-running in another lot away from the farm animals because I haven't had time to be consistent with training them yet.

I do believe it is possible to train dogs or any age and breed, it just varies on the amount of work put in, and there has to be consistency and dedication to the training. Good luck with it :)

Which is why so many people figure out (with their non-LGD breeds) it is more painless to just build a solid coop and foraging area for their birds that keeps them separate from their canines.

This is my plan with our Decker Rat Terrier. Once my chicks are full grown size I will try introductions with her muzzled but since she was a feral rescue I don't see her being able to get over her prey drive. I tell her "Chicken's are friends, Not Food!" with Bruce's accent from Finding Nemo about 50 times a day. She is smart enough to walk off from the cage but whenever I turn my back she is staring at them again. I'd rather the birds and the dog have separate areas to prevent a tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom