introducing ducklings

inkyduck

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Hi, I have 2 black indian runner ladies, (3 months old) and 4 infants, 1 male and 3 females. They are separated in the coop by a baby duckling gate of wire cloth. The two older girls seem fascinated by the babies and prefer to stay with them; not even wanting to enter their run. I am very new to ducks and would love some advice on how to/ when to integrate them. Thanks, Melissa

how old are the ducklings. they are probably safe with the babies, ducks are not like chickens they dont have a pecking order or act hostle to new comers like chickens do. Put the ducklings in water and let the big ones in they will probably join them the main danger is getting trampled

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply... my babes are just going on a week old. My two young ladies seem smitten with them but I wouldn't want the babes to come to any harm.So glad to learn pecking order issues will not be a problem.

try putting big duck with the ducklings give them them food and see what they do if they are in a closed area it will be easy to remove the big duck if she starts any thing. they may just want to mother them

Back
Top Bottom