Introducing ducks again?

Right now the calls are in the coop and the mallards are in the pen because the mallards wouldn't go up into the coop. They are again separated for the night. Would it be better if I sold one male mallard, so I would have a pair of calls and a pair of mallards?
Might be your best bet unless you can find more females. but then you still don't have any guarantee the drakes still won't fight, I had 2 drakes to 10 girls till this past summer when i decided to keep another drake from a hatch ,and those boys still would fight and get bloody. No telling what is going to happen this spring, actually i already have one of my drakes my oldest separated from the other 2 because he is old and not doing well and of course they pick up on stuff like that. If your calls and mallards pair then it may be best to just keep to 2 pairs and find a home for the one drake.

Under usual circumstances, as others have already stated keeping three drakes with two ducks generally results in the ducks being gang bred and injured, drowned or killed. Is that a chance you wish to take. That's a reality.

Under usual circumstances, as others have already stated keeping three drakes with two ducks generally results in the ducks being gang bred and injured, drowned or killed.  Is that a chance you wish to take.  That's a reality.

Yes, but I want to get rid of one male mallard and try to have one call pair and one mallard pair.

I had a call pair in my flock with (at that time) 8 Cayugas and a whole lot of chickens. Plus a goose. Shortly after moving here, the call hen disappeared. After a while, the Cayugas ganged up on the call drake - he looked pretty ratty all the time. Then one day he just had enough of it and started chasing the Cayuga drakes, plus skuffling if the other drake(s) didnt get out of his way. Now there is only the "get out of my way" head-poke and they get along

Elvis has also taken a Cayuga wife. I call her Boudica, but deliberately mis-pronounce it "Boh-day-shah" because he thinks she's just bodacious as all get-out.

Anyway, a call duck pair would be good.

I had a call pair in my flock with (at that time) 8 Cayugas and a whole lot of chickens. Plus a goose. Shortly after moving here, the call hen disappeared. After a while, the Cayugas ganged up on the call drake - he looked pretty ratty all the time. Then one day he just had enough of it and started chasing the Cayuga drakes, plus skuffling if the other drake(s) didnt get out of his way. Now there is only the "get out of my way" head-poke and they get along
Elvis has also taken a Cayuga wife. I call her Boudica, but deliberately mis-pronounce it "Boh-day-shah" because he thinks she's just bodacious as all get-out.
Anyway, a call duck pair would be good.

Yes, today two drakes (the call male and one of the mallard males) fought a little, then stopped. After that there were only head pokes and beak nudges, with the occasional nip. And today the call female couldn't get a drink because every other duck except the call male was huddling over the water. Then, she busted on through there and got her self a drink!

Last edited:
Well I think the introduction with the ducks isn't going to work out so well, so we separated the the male mallards from the female mallard and the call pair. I think this will be much better hopefully, right?

Well I think the introduction with the ducks isn't going to work out so well, so we separated the the male mallards from the female mallard and the call pair. I think this will be much better hopefully, right?
So you have the 2 mallard drakes together and the call pair and mallard duck together? It will probably keep everyone happy but the 2 mallard drakes.

Yes, and I'm trying to find good homes for the mallard drakes.... I posted them in the BST section.

Yes, and I'm trying to find good homes for the mallard drakes.... I posted them in the BST section.
Okay so your going to rehome both drakes , does your call pair like your mallard duck? I hope someone will get your boys.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom