Introducing Ducks????? HELP!!!

talkhorsesducks

Songster
Apr 13, 2022
I lost a few of my year old females this week. I have one female left and two drakes yikes… I separated her from them and put her in with my 6 week olds. One friendly drake, and a sassy female. she’s still quite a bit bigger than these little ducks. She lost her best friend (another hen) and is still upset.
The young drake is keeping her away from the water and she’s keeping to herself but seems upset. It’s the first day these guys are together outside- they’ve been in a smaller pen together. No one seems to be aggressive- they weren’t in the smaller pen. They are avoiding each other and staying in separate areas of the pen. Will the 3 warm up to each other? I’m hoping to have these three as a breeding trio eventually. Please help. The baby ducks are in the front. The young drake and female were raised together.
image.jpg

It's hard to introduce ducks during breeding season. They act much different than they will after breeding season. I made two flocks last September and had no problem mixing a bunch of pairs and trios from different show breeders. I did separate them into a pen if smaller to medium ducks, and a pen for the larger medium to Pekin size ducks, but we had no issues at all. I think once breeding season is done, they will be fine together.

Oh! Maybe she is! The person I got eggs from told me she was a mini silver apple yard- but people get confused and/or lie. What I do know is that she is a pretty girl!View attachment 3125892
To me, everything but the little feet looks WH, But you said she was young so she'll probably look more Appleyard-ish later.
Also aren't there Silver Appleyard Minatures, Silver Bantams, and the large fowl Silver Appleyards?
And as I said, I've never had them, so you know best!

Back
Top Bottom