Introducing Frostypenn and chickens

frostypenn

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2021
Hi,
I got new chickens this year, (giving up my geese because I can't keep grass growing to feed them.) I bought one each of various breeds, then 4 buff orpingtons. I live in NM, so I want to let them interbreed and keep the ones best suited to a difficult (but not too cold) climate. I have 7 hens and 2 roosters.
I have 2.5 acres, surrounded by a 6' chain link fence, so I don't have to worry about thieves or coyotes, but then I started losing chickens at night from owls. So I had to lock them up in a 4' by 14 ' henhouse and a 42' by 15' run, with chicken-wire over the top. They weren't too happy but they are getting used to it. I plan to let them out during the day after they have learned to return to roost there at night. I hope six weeks will do it.
I have planted many trees around the house for fruit and nuts, for windbreak and for wildlife food and nesting. Now they are good for shading the chickens too. I enjoy reading everybody's posts.
Sarah

Hello, and welcome! Good luck with your flock! Since you have 2 rooster's, do you plan to get more hen's to keep them happy?
I got a second rooster because I wasn't sure about the first: he didn't crow and didn't have tail feathers. Now the new one is about the same - crowed once one day - so I'm keeping them both. They seem to be getting along OK, but since nobody is old enough to breed yet, I don't know which hens will go with which rooster. Somebody told me that with the shortening daylight hours, they won't crow, breed or lay eggs now until spring. I'm keeping them both until then hoping at least one really is a rooster. They are both much bigger, with thicker legs, than the hens. Any ideas?

Somebody told me that with the shortening daylight hours, they won't crow, breed or lay eggs now until spring.
Welcome to BYC!
The above info is almost correct. Roosters will absolulty still breed, and crow in the winter. Your hens might not lay, depending on their age.
7 hens to two roosters, sounds like a good ratio, though it will depend on how nice your roosters are to the hens.
Congrats on your flock, and make yourself at home here! We love photos btw. :welcome

I got a second rooster because I wasn't sure about the first: he didn't crow and didn't have tail feathers. Now the new one is about the same - crowed once one day - so I'm keeping them both. They seem to be getting along OK, but since nobody is old enough to breed yet, I don't know which hens will go with which rooster. Somebody told me that with the shortening daylight hours, they won't crow, breed or lay eggs now until spring. I'm keeping them both until then hoping at least one really is a rooster. They are both much bigger, with thicker legs, than the hens. Any ideas?
I live over here in Arizona, and I caught my rooster breeding a pullet that just started laying egg's. If you are going to keep both of your rooster's, you are going to most likely need more hen's so that the girl's won't get overbred.

Back
Top Bottom