Introducing Help

Evergray

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
Hello,

Thank you for your help in advance ;)
Right now in our large pond we have just two ducks, a Drake and his mate. We have a Drake and two females we want to add to the pond. We will have more females but not quite yet as they are still only 4 weeks old. Is there a gentle way to introduce the older ducks? I don't think just letting them loose with each other would be that good.

Thanks,
Alysha

Evergray,

What you could do for the older ducks is something often with animals, chickens to fish. Set up a temporary enclosure that none of the ducks are in and that is small without a pond, maybe a kiddie pool. Then divide into two halves and put each group on one side. Let them get used to each other and after a few days, take the divider out and watch them to make sure nothing happens. After you are fairly confident they are fine release them into the large pond. If you can wait a little you could do this with all the ducks, the young ones included. Make sure the ducklings are the same size as the adults and have full feathering. I know this seems a little crazy, but it is better than having the ducks on the pond and you not able to do something if a problem occurs. Best of luck.

The Hens will meet without much issues...The a Drakes will fight and attack the Hens to be dominant and breed them...Do not introduce the Drakes...
Don't introduce them at all? That's seems kind of weird. This newest Drake was just in a huge flock with plenty of males around.

Evergray,

What you could do for the older ducks is something often with animals, chickens to fish. Set up a temporary enclosure that none of the ducks are in and that is small without a pond, maybe a kiddie pool. Then divide into two halves and put each group on one side. Let them get used to each other and after a few days, take the divider out and watch them to make sure nothing happens. After you are fairly confident they are fine release them into the large pond. If you can wait a little you could do this with all the ducks, the young ones included. Make sure the ducklings are the same size as the adults and have full feathering. I know this seems a little crazy, but it is better than having the ducks on the pond and you not able to do something if a problem occurs. Best of luck.
Thanks! That was sort of my plan. Separating them but still being able to see each other etc

Yeah...So?.... Possible reason to get rid of some and sell as a trio?....Try it...They will fight and pick on Hens...
Actually the lady didn't want to sell them but is going threw some family difficulties and leaving the country 4 weeks at a time(going to the states). So it's easier to sell some and know they are going to a good home. I will be trying it :) I have more females on the way as well so once they come and I only have the two males I'm sure we will be fine.

Don't introduce them at all? That's seems kind of weird. This newest Drake was just in a huge flock with plenty of males around.

If he has been around other drakes, its worth a shot. I think the "let them see each other for a while" scenario might work best. Just be prepared to break up some fights, if they happen. There will be some normal pushing and shoving. Boys will be boys! :)

Good luck!

There are groups with many drakes in the wild and you do not see them fighting all the time and there could be twenty or more. Males can definetely get along.

Back
Top Bottom