Introducing hen back into the group.

chickentender18

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2019
I have a sultan bantam, she is small and has only 1 wing as she was attacked and the animal ripped it off. She was already in the group and when the attack happened I took her out, nursed her to health, then tried to reintroduce her back after a week or so. Even the bantams that she hatched with didn't accept her and tried flogging her. I was scared she'd get killed by them so I have kept her in a brooder alone. Do I have any chance of getting her back into the group? I hate that she is mostly alone. Any pointers?

Do I have any chance of getting her back into the group? I hate that she is mostly alone. Any pointers?
That is a very common issue.

Put her inside a kennel where she can be with them but protected and they can all see each other and work out pecking order a little bit before reintroduction. We call this "look but don't touch". After about a week, maybe do a test integration while you are supervising. Sometimes I will add them on roost after dark so everyone wakes up together. Depending on your flock a couple days might be enough. Some folks will take a couple weeks or even a month.

For future reference... if you are able to keep them in sight it helps smooth this process. But it sounds like she is lucky to be alive!

After she has been in sight for a while... you might take the lowest bird on the pecking order and put in the kennel with her... or if she appears to have any possible buddies. That way they can get it all worked out and head back out together to be with the flock.

Lots of visual blocks help to prevent direct line of sight for anyone on a mission to beat her down. Chairs turned on their side, buckets, hay bale... whatever ya got. And no corners to get blocked into, so she has escape routes if possible. Sometimes adding an extra feeder short term can help. With a little patience and persistence these pointers SHOULD help get her integrated back in. :fl

Thank you so much! I just read this today and I actually did start yesterday with the kennel thing! So, maybe I'm on the right track...this is my first flock.

I have a sultan bantam, she is small and has only 1 wing as she was attacked and the animal ripped it off. She was already in the group and when the attack happened I took her out, nursed her to health, then tried to reintroduce her back after a week or so. Even the bantams that she hatched with didn't accept her and tried flogging her. I was scared she'd get killed by them so I have kept her in a brooder alone. Do I have any chance of getting her back into the group? I hate that she is mostly alone. Any pointers?
Well, have her in a lil' cage that she can see through inside the coop. Make sure the cage has it's own food and water, as well as it being big enough that the bantam can get away from the walls if they try to peck her. After a few days or a week and you see that she is getting along then you can take out the cage and let her with the others. Make sure to keep an eye on her since she is vulnerable since she has 1 wing and might not be able to defend herself if the others peck her. Put her back in the cage if they bully the bantam. Also, make sure the coop doesn't have many feisty, full size hens such as RIR's... Reply if you need help!

Thank you so much! I just read this today and I actually did start yesterday with the kennel thing! So, maybe I'm on the right track...this is my first flock.
That's awesome, welcome to BYC! :frow

You're definitely on the right track since you found this community! Just remember there is almost always more than one way of doing things and that's okay. Most of us have different set ups, bird personalities, personal perspectives, resources, weather conditions and so on. We do our best until we learn something different. Switch it up if needed... You've already been through a lot as a keeper! :hugs

How old are your birds now? Lot's of cockerels in the bantam hatch? That and how much space they have can also be key factors in your process. :fl

That's awesome, welcome to BYC! :frow

You're definitely on the right track since you found this community! Just remember there is almost always more than one way of doing things and that's okay. Most of us have different set ups, bird personalities, personal perspectives, resources, weather conditions and so on. We do our best until we learn something different. Switch it up if needed... You've already been through a lot as a keeper! :hugs

How old are your birds now? Lot's of cockerels in the bantam hatch? That and how much space they have can also be key factors in your process. :fl
They are about 3 months old, 3 hens 1 roo. But they are mixed in with golden comets and barred rocks. I have 13 total. My big girls (as I call them) are older born beginning of March. All but Lilly (my 1 winged girl) spend most of their day roaming my yard the kennel is a 10x10.

Back
Top Bottom