1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing My First EVER Chicks I hatched Myself!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 2, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I guess it is official....I really am able to hatch out chickies!!!

Here is the proof! LOL

I had put in 7 eggs of my own and then 4 days later put in some from the man who gave me the bator. He asked if I would hatch out some chicks for him too. I had no clue you shouldn't do a staggered hatch but I am happy to say the staggered hatch is hatching NOW [​IMG]

Out of my 7 eggs I had 5 hatch. One was born with a yolk sac still attatched and he died the second day. RIP chickie. One died in the shell after pipping. Looks like it got stuck. The other egg had not been fertile. So I had a really good outcome!

This first pic is of my eggs. The 2 BO chicks are from my hen that a something got several weeks ago. I was thrilled I got her eggs to hatch. I will be keeping these babies for sure. The 2 black chicks are of our Barred Rocks. The one biggest chick is the moma hens biological chick. I put the 4 of my hatched out chicks with her because she is a really good moma.

[​IMG]

The second pic is of one of the 5 chicks I have so far on my staggered hatch. I was told they were yellow BOs but they are black so I am not sure now what these chicks are. I have a thread on that in breed/gender on here to figure that out.

[​IMG]

If I can hatch out eggs....anyone can LOL

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Congrats!!! I felt the same way after my first hatch and my second hatch,... and probably my third! Nice looking birds by the way!

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] Thats great [​IMG]

4. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    [​IMG] Congratulations...well done.[​IMG]

5. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    Yay!!! Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks! I am SO proud of myself! I literally didn't hardly leave at all, I checked the temps. on the bator at least 100 x a day! LOL I had trouble with it. The first batch of eggs I tried got fried due to high temps. The second tried to have high spikes but luckily I was on watch! I had a really good hatch rate, I think, especially for someone who had no clue as to how to do this!

All I can say is [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ooops DOUBLE POSTED

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  8. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Congratulations on a terrific success rate! I wonder if your black chicks could be black orps? Have fun with them!

9. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Yeah! [​IMG]

I had my first hatch this week, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by