Introducing myself

KirbyH

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Rougemont, NC
My husband and I live on 5 acres in NC and have a small flock of chickens which we raise for eggs. We have six "normal" chickens of different varieties (Americaunas, Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Wyandottes) who live in a coop within an electric fenced in yard and who are released from their fence to free range in our acre and a half fenced in front yard. They share the yard with our dog, a Portuguese Podengo, who has been trained to ignore them, as well as the peripatetic flock of guineas who roam the neighborhood and our neighbor's 10 turkeys who visit. We have two, shall we say, not so normal (and I say this with affection) silkies who live in a coop inside our vegetable garden fence. Their coop is set up so when we get new pullets we can house them with the silkies. The silkies are extremely tame and though they can be territorial, they tolerate the younger chickens well and serve to make them friendlier and less anxious.

Can I say, I love Silkies, and one being for this reason you mention here. Pretty easy going aren't they? WELCOME!
FB_IMG_1547854366634.jpg

Back
Top Bottom