Introducing new adult ducks to existing flock

Aadriano0216

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2021
Hello I need some advice. I have adopted 2 new adult ducks from a friend of a friend. I have quarantined these 2 ladies and I think its time they are introduced to the flock. First day I have put them in their own pen with a pool and food. They rest of the birds are able to see them and talk to them but are unable to interact. The 2 new ducks seem very VERY eager to be let out and mingle. Since this is the first day does anyone think it would be a problem? Thanks!!

All you can do is try sometimes it takes a while for the resident ducks to accept newbies so also introducing them the way you are is the best way then after a few days to a week you start letting them have time together maybe toss some snack on the ground so they are more intertested in eating then anything else. Let us know how it goes.

All you can do is try sometimes it takes a while for the resident ducks to accept newbies so also introducing them the way you are is the best way then after a few days to a week you start letting them have time together maybe toss some snack on the ground so they are more intertested in eating then anything else. Let us know how it goes.
Awesome, thanks you so much for the reply! I have geese as well so I was kinda leaning on the side of caution and wait. They are just so excited to have other animals and room to move. They came from a not so great situation. I sure will keep you guys updated. Thanks again!!

Usually my flock of chickens ducks and geese pretty much ignore any newbies but I never leave them unsupervised either. There could be some picking but they usually work it out if we don't try and keep them from some interaction.
Bless you for taking these ducks in to join your flock. Share pics when you can.

Usually my flock of chickens ducks and geese pretty much ignore any newbies but I never leave them unsupervised either. There could be some picking but they usually work it out if we don't try and keep them from some interaction.
Bless you for taking these ducks in to join your flock. Share pics when you can.
Oh good! I have never introduced adult ducks to my adult flock. Usually when I have babies they are pretty much out with them all the time just in their own pen. Thanks ya it was a pretty bad situation. I understand sometimes it get hard to handle at least they knew that and reached out for help. I sure will post pictures!!

Here is a pic of some of the flock meeting the 2 for the first time. The rescues are the white pekin and the mallard. They seem like they are gonna make a nice little family🙃

Attachments

• 20220621_183709.jpg
    20220621_183709.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 28
I agree it all depends on the new comers and the established flock.
Locally, three rescued Pekin females went to join an established flock of a pekin drake and female and their 2 adolescent ducklings. The adolescent ducklings took to the newcomers immediately -- their own parents virtually ignore them. The ducklings and newcomers are all friendly pekins! So that went well [yes the rescues should have been quarantined, but the rescuers didn't realise. Fortuantely all healthy!]

I just introduced a rescued young Pekin drake to my son's three females [2 pekins and 1 muscovy]. He and his brother have been with me since the beginning of May. All went well yesterday, on their first day, so he was allowed into the coop when it went dark. The girls gave him a bad time this morning shouting but I was there to let them out at 6am. They had a really good day today: he doesn't like the muscovy who keeps trying to be freindly but he moves away; the larger of the two pekins keeps making go away head movements towards him that he ignores; and by this evening the three ladies were following him in a line round the garden. The girls went into the coop first but he followed them and they all ate from the same bowl. That has worked out well, fortunately. We didn't need to have him sleep in a dogcrate in the coop, although we had the dogcrate at the ready.

Introducing his brother to my all drake flock is taking longer, as I have a pekin drake that "looks for trouble". The rescue has been in a pen with a kiddie pool on my patio for 3 weeks. My drake who looks for trouble, is going in the pen tomorrow, and the rescue will be free ranging. The rescue knows his way around as he alternated with his brother being in the pen or free ranging for the last 3 weeks. Its going to take time to get him fully integrated. The pekins sleep in their own dogcrates in my coop.

I think introductions generally do best if they can sleep in separate compartments or in dogcrates in the duck house initially.

Attachments

• 20220610_193338.jpg
    20220610_193338.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom