Introducing new chick is becoming deadly

CrystalLuvsHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2015
Texas
Hi everyone, I've been without chickens for years but I'm back.

I always had a lot of chickens but now I have two inside under a heat lamp. Okay, so I bought a silkie chick and a Cochin bantam chick. Both straight run but I love the breeds. The silkie started crowing so I had to re-home him.
I bought another silkie chick yesterday but my Cochin bantam is now older and tried to peck the silkie chick to death. I immediately put the partition up in the cage to keep them apart but they can still see and communicate with one another.
How do I introduce the new chick and not have my hen kill it. I thought for sure this was going to work but it's not and one chicken is too lonely.
I would appreciate any advice. If it matters, I live in NC and it's cold here at night.
Crystal

Hi everyone, I've been without chickens for years but I'm back.

I always had a lot of chickens but now I have two inside under a heat lamp. Okay, so I bought a silkie chick and a Cochin bantam chick. Both straight run but I love the breeds. The silkie started crowing so I had to re-home him.
I bought another silkie chick yesterday but my Cochin bantam is now older and tried to peck the silkie chick to death. I immediately put the partition up in the cage to keep them apart but they can still see and communicate with one another.
How do I introduce the new chick and not have my hen kill it. I thought for sure this was going to work but it's not and one chicken is too lonely.
I would appreciate any advice. If it matters, I live in NC and it's cold here at night.
Crystal
How old is the chick?

Attachments

• IMG_20221202_174500758.jpg
    IMG_20221202_174500758.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom