Introducing new chick to old chick? HELP!!!

stephanie1992

Songster
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Central California (Denair/Turlock)
i have a 6 day old chick in the brooder. i put my one day old in the brooder and the 6 day old started attacking it. what do i do? i only have one brooder and both chicks need to be in it. but the older one is mean. will she stop picking on the young one??

Last edited:
Can you put a divider in and have one chick on one side and the other chick on the other side. I wouldn't put a day old in with an older chick, in a few days you should be able to put them together.

Keep them separated with a piece of snake mesh between them in the brooder until they get used to each other. Even then, the big one may pick on the little one.
idunno.gif

If you have a piece of cardboard or something a little sturdy, you can make a divider out of it. Wire works best since that way you can insure the heat gets to both sides but if not, then put the older chick on the cooler side of the divider.

You could also take a second water and food container, put it and the day old under a colander (like for draining spaghetti) in the brooder. It works well, gives the little one some room to move around, prevents the older chick from making a snack out of the younger one, and still allows for both of them to get to know one another. You weren't gonna make spaghetti tonight anyway.

my brooder is a homemade brooder. ita made out a carbored box and a upside down mini incubator. so theres really no way to put a divider in there and both being able to get heat. im going to move the older one out into a dog crate with a heating pad. thats what i use to use as a brooder and never had problems. and everyday take them out and let them interacte with one another. hopfully i can get them use to one another

In a week or so, once the day old one has time to strengthen its legs and get used to walking around, it will be much easier to integrate them. Day old, homehatched chicks can hardly walk, let alone protect themselves against another, older chick.

ok thanks ill try reintroducing them in a few days. the new chick is very livelyits running around, drinking water, and eating already. its been running around as soon as it got out of the egg. hasnt rested yet. hopfully it sleeps soon. its the loudest chick out of 3. it and another hatched today.

Quote:
You could use the little lid of the incubator if need be. It has a nice vent hole at the top that should allow enough air in there for the day old for the night. I use the same thing if I wind up with a late chick from a hatch for a few hours until the rest of them bore of pecking at the lid trying to get to Slow Draw MacGraw. The heat builds up a bit in the lid as well, making it about 2-3 deg. hotter than the rest of the brooder. Once the late comer gets it's legs under it, it moves that lid all over the place
lol.png

Quote:
You could use the little lid of the incubator if need be. It has a nice vent hole at the top that should allow enough air in there for the day old for the night. I use the same thing if I wind up with a late chick from a hatch for a few hours until the rest of them bore of pecking at the lid trying to get to Slow Draw MacGraw. The heat builds up a bit in the lid as well, making it about 2-3 deg. hotter than the rest of the brooder. Once the late comer gets it's legs under it, it moves that lid all over the place
lol.png

i think it would already do that lol. it can walk perfect and is extramly lively. it had no issues standing up once out of the egg. didnt fall once or anything. just stood up, stayed in one spot for a miniute then started to run around. ill post a video of it

View My Video

Back
Top Bottom