Introducing new chicken/s

julieb3

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 16, 2014
Although I've lived on a farm my whole life, I am new to raising chickens and need some advice. My son's boss is selling me his small coop and only remaining hen, and my son will be bringing them next weekend. I've read than it isn't good to have only 1 chicken and plan to buy 1 or 2 more adult hens. I'm wondering if there will be a problem putting them together, and would it be better to have 2 or 3 total? Any input would be appreciated!

Hello and welcome!

I've never met anyone who only has one chicken, they always have at least more than 3 or 4. If you live on a farm, then you might want to get a lot of chickens to have a lot of eggs that you can sell or just give to neighbors.

They will probably have some issues in organizing the pecking order. I have added a total of 3 chickens to my current flock. I did have some aggresion problems, but I watched them to make sure that they weren't about to kill eachother, and just let them settle it out. After about a week of putting them together, they were pretty much all okay with being together.

You'll also get more eggs!

Back
Top Bottom