Introducing new chicken

emmarouth17

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
I have a pekin that has been broody and has had chicks she is now seperated from her chicks and I am trying to put her back in with her old flock witch construes of 3 other chickens but her and another pekin have been fighting there both bleeding and look very upset neither one looks like they will submit what do u think I should do?

Hi! Definitely separate them. The red color of the blood will just encourage them to fight more, so you can put some Blu-Kote on the wounds to conceal them. Since the broody has been away, you'll have to introduce them like they are new. First you can let them see each other through a fence and get used to each other. After they are more comfortable, you can let them interact while free ranging under your supervision because they will be more distracted and not as focused on putting the newcomer in her place, with the added benefit of there being more space to keep their distance or run away if they start to fight. If they do fight, you can shake a soup can with rocks or pennies inside and duct tape over the top. The harsh noise should make them stop. Then, when you've done that a few times, you can put the broody in the coop on the roost when the others are sleeping so it just seems like business as usual in the mornning. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom