Introducing new chickens to flock

mja9346

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Here's the scenario . We have two older chickens that are about 4 years old. (1 buff and 1 barred rock). I am wondering if I would be fine introducing my 4 new chickens that are almost 5 months old . ( 2 Barred rock, 2 Rhode Island reds). I have heard some say they need to be the same size as the other chickens in the flock you are introducing them to . My 4 are nice size now but not as big as the older ones . I was thinking since they will have the older ones out numbered they would not have a problem . Starting to get eggs from the 5 month olds so would like to get them introduced if possible . What do yall think?

Haven't done that yet, but that is my plan also. Thinking ours will integrate in September or October when they start laying eggs. Think it is good to introduce multiple ones at a time.

Here's the scenario . We have two older chickens that are about 4 years old. (1 buff and 1 barred rock). I am wondering if I would be fine introducing my 4 new chickens that are almost 5 months old . ( 2 Barred rock, 2 Rhode Island reds). I have heard some say they need to be the same size as the other chickens in the flock you are introducing them to . My 4 are nice size now but not as big as the older ones . I was thinking since they will have the older ones out numbered they would not have a problem . Starting to get eggs from the 5 month olds so would like to get them introduced if possible . What do yall think?
Your older birds will likely attack the new birds for invading their territory.
The numbers you have might help.....but not necessarily.

Integration is usually a multi step process...keeping new birds adjacent but separated by wire is good way to start off.
Once they share physical space they need lots of room, multiple feed/water stations, and places to hide/get away from aggressors.

More info on how/where these new birds are now housed in relation to the old birds would help greatly.
Size of your coop and run(feet by feet) would help too.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Last edited:
Your older birds will likely attack the new birds for invading their territory.

The numbers you have might help.....but not necessarily.

Integration is usually a multi step
process...keeping new birds adjacent but separated by wire is good way to start off.
Once they share physical space they need lots of room, multiple feed/water stations, and places to hide/get away from aggressors.

More info on how/where these new birds are now housed in relation to the old birds would help greatly.
Size of your coop and run(feet by feet) would help too.

Read up on integration.....  BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

New chickens are located on opposite end of property so not within sight of others . It's a big coop/run 16x16

How long do you keep them in view of each other before integrating? We have six 14 wk old pullets and adopted a single girl the same age after her flock was taken out by a fox. I have had them in view for about 10 days, and together for 3 but just separated them again because the new one broke her beak trying to get away from the others pecking her. Not sure what to do next...

Hi there,

When I added a new chicken to my flock a few months ago, I used a large dog cage and put pine shavings on the cage floor along with food and water. I left my leghorn cross in the cage for about 4-5 days in the pen so my other hens had complete site of her, sometimes they do fight to ***

Hi there,

When I added a new chicken to my flock a few months ago, I used a dog cage and put pine shavings on the cage floor along with water and food. I made sure that the cage was in the coop so that my hens could establish a Peking order without any injuries. At night I put her in the shed with towels around the cage to block light. After about 4 days I put her in the coop, my most dominant hen peaked her evey so often but the is very normal.

Hope this helped.

Back
Top Bottom