Introducing New Chickens

ther00ster'scr0w

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Bay Area CA
I have a flock of 1 7 month old rooster and 7 seven month old hens--all laying. Tomorrow I am getting 3 new pullets about 7 months old as well.

Any suggestions on how to introduce them? Anyone have pictures or stories they would like to share of new chickens being introduced? Thanks!

First thing is to QUARINTINE them for at least 30 days. After the 30 days if everyone is healthy either pen the new birds next to your original flock of if you can just give them their own space in your existing coop/run. The idea is for them to be able to see each other, but not come into physical contact. After a couple weeks of that I usually put them together for awhile during the daytime. It's a bonus if you free range, the more room they have to get away from each other the better. There will be some chasing and pecking while they work things out. That is fine as long as it doesn't get to the point of drawing blood. If that happens put some blu-kote on the injured chook and send everyone back to their seperate quarters. If everything goes pretty well I add the new chooks to the coop that night. You may want to do some research while the new crew is in quarintine. There are lots of threads on this and several methods. Good luck.

Forget the introductions and remember the quarantine!! There is no end to sad stories on here, about disasters from disease... Please be careful! Kitty says it all for the introduction part. Don't risk your current flock! Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom