Introducing new chicks to a flock

Jessi.Smith

Songster
Sep 30, 2018
Texas
I have 2 8-9 week old necked necks that I would like to introduce to my flock of 9 adult hens.
I have introduced chicks in the past, but now my flock free ranges during the day.
For the last 2 weeks, the chicks have been on a small "chick-inn" attached at the end of the adult hens run.
I read to make the introduction at night and that is my current plan. We actually have 2 coops connected by a u shaped run, with an automatic door in the middle. I think the new chicks should go in with the nicer of the hens (the mean girls have claimed a coop for themselves).
How do I make sure the new chicks don't run off when they are free ranging? I read that it takes several weeks for chickens to learn their new home.

I have 2 8-9 week old necked necks that I would like to introduce to my flock of 9 adult hens.
I have introduced chicks in the past, but now my flock free ranges during the day.
For the last 2 weeks, the chicks have been on a small "chick-inn" attached at the end of the adult hens run.
I read to make the introduction at night and that is my current plan. We actually have 2 coops connected by a u shaped run, with an automatic door in the middle. I think the new chicks should go in with the nicer of the hens (the mean girls have claimed a coop for themselves).
How do I make sure the new chicks don't run off when they are free ranging? I read that it takes several weeks for chickens to learn their new home.
Put the chicks in a dog crate and put the dog crate into the coop. Then just go ahead and leave them in there (with water and food obviously). This will teach them where is their home, AND establish their pecking order without getting hurt

Put the chicks in a dog crate and put the dog crate into the coop. Then just go ahead and leave them in there (with water and food obviously). This will teach them where is their home, AND establish their pecking order without getting hurt
The coops are not big enough for a dog crate. They have been sharing a wall with the chicken run for 2 weeks. So they have been able to get close to and have limited interaction with the established flock. To be honest, the adult hens don't seem too interested in the chicks.

Might be a good idea to let the older birds out to range then have the chicks in the run and main coop for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom