1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing New Chicks to Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ahawk88, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Ahawk88

Ahawk88 New Egg

Apr 20, 2016
    Hi friends,
    I have read many threads on incorporating new chicks to the flock, but none really fit my situation.

I have three 4-months old chickens in my lovely coop/run. They are doing great! (This is my first time having chickens.) My Golden Sex Link has begun laying. We also have three 2-month old chicks in a separate outdoor brooder. We let the older hens free-range around the garden when we are outside, and they go up to the brooder and socialize.

Now the 2-month old chicks are outgrowing their brooder. I think it's about time we put them into the big-girl coop and run. My only concern is that the big-girls are eating layer feed now, and the littler girls are still on start-and-grow feed. How do I deal with that if I incorporate them? Or do I need to keep the littles separate until they are old enough to eat layer-feed?

Thanks for the advice!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    When I integrate, everyone gets flock grower. Non-medicated, no extra calcium. If you want them to have the calcium, you can offer oyster shell separately.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

I 2nd giving everyone flock raiser feeds and crushed oyster shells on the side. I also leave my older ones to have layer feed since they protect their own feeders anyways, but I got 5 feeders inside and out of the coop.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by