Introducing New Chicks to Flock

Ahawk88

Hatching
Apr 20, 2016
Hi friends,
I have read many threads on incorporating new chicks to the flock, but none really fit my situation.

I have three 4-months old chickens in my lovely coop/run. They are doing great! (This is my first time having chickens.) My Golden Sex Link has begun laying. We also have three 2-month old chicks in a separate outdoor brooder. We let the older hens free-range around the garden when we are outside, and they go up to the brooder and socialize.

Now the 2-month old chicks are outgrowing their brooder. I think it's about time we put them into the big-girl coop and run. My only concern is that the big-girls are eating layer feed now, and the littler girls are still on start-and-grow feed. How do I deal with that if I incorporate them? Or do I need to keep the littles separate until they are old enough to eat layer-feed?

Thanks for the advice!

When I integrate, everyone gets flock grower. Non-medicated, no extra calcium. If you want them to have the calcium, you can offer oyster shell separately. 

I 2nd giving everyone flock raiser feeds and crushed oyster shells on the side. I also leave my older ones to have layer feed since they protect their own feeders anyways, but I got 5 feeders inside and out of the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom