Introducing New Chicks to the flock -- timing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Little-er, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Chicken Little-er

Chicken Little-er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Hi all,

We have 7 chicks that are about 9 weeks old, fully feathered and doing great. I'd like to add 3 more to our flock. Could either wait till spring or do it now. I'm thinking it would be easier now -- to start 3 new chicks in the brooder and when they're big enough introduce them to the current flock -- as the age difference will just be 2 months and as it's warm there's lots of time for everyone to be outside. If I wait till spring, I'm worried that it will be several months before I can mix the two groups as the age / size gap will be so much larger. We now have 2 BOs, 2 BRs, 2 Araucanas and 1 Light Brahma. Thinking of getting 2 Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks and a Buff Brahma -- all available right now at our feed store. Would love any advice on this! Thanks so much!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I personally don't think there will be any significant difference whether you integrate them now or next year with that difference in age. I certainly don't see any advantage to waiting if the ones you want are readily available.

That should be a pretty flock. Do they have any Australorp available? A solid black chicken would really set that flock off well.

3. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    The seven 9 weeks old are going to be full size soon enough and the newbies won't be. Eight weeks from now, you'll have 9 full size ladies and 3 teenagers. Do you have enough seperate coop space to keep the new ones until they are large enough? If so, now sounds like the time to do it.

4. Chicken Little-er

Chicken Little-er Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! I went ahead and got them this morning -- and - it's probably because I'm more calm with my second set of chicks than my first - but these chicks seem exceptionally calm and friendly -- easy to handle them and no first-day trauma! Thanks everyone - I love this forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by