Introducing new ducklings.

Stephaniejoy

Chirping
Apr 19, 2019
So apparently "chicken math" doesn't apply just to chickens. It also applies to ducks! We recently were gifted a couple ducklings in addition to the 4 pekins babies we just bought. Realizing we had a duck run plenty big enough for a few more friends, I made the mistake of going online! So now we have 6 more babies on the way. They will be 4 weeks younger than the mallards and 3 younger than the pekins. Should I put them all together? Will my big gals hurt my little ones? Is it best to brood separately until older?

Thanks for your help!

Chicken-math is nothing compared to duck-math! :lau
Just wait until you have your first broody duck, they excel in hiding their egg clutches and when you find them sitting on their nest its all too late…
In regards to the ducklings of different ages: Yes, i agree! I would definitely keep them separated until the small ones have caught up. Ducklings grow like weeds! Best works the "see but no touch" approach for ducklings of different age as well as for grown-up ducks and new ducklings.
Have fun with your ducks! And if you could post some pictures here we would all appreciate! We're addicted to duckling pictures…

Def best to give your littlest time to get some size on them I’m sure you have some bullies in your older group and when tiny they can easily get trampled and picked on. Congrats on your new little ones. Pics when you can.
Thanks so much! I will be setting up another brooder tonight! Pics as soon as my new ladies arrive.
Def best to give your littlest time to get some size on them I’m sure you have some bullies in your older group and when tiny they can easily get trampled and picked on. Congrats on your new little ones. Pics when you can.

Chicken-math is nothing compared to duck-math! :lau
Just wait until you have your first broody duck, they excel in hiding their egg clutches and when you find them sitting on their nest its all too late…
In regards to the ducklings of different ages: Yes, i agree! I would definitely keep them separated until the small ones have caught up. Ducklings grow like weeds! Best works the "see but no touch" approach for ducklings of different age as well as for grown-up ducks and new ducklings.
Have fun with your ducks! And if you could post some pictures here we would all appreciate! We're addicted to duckling pictures…
Lol on the duck math! I'm really enjoying them. Cant wait for the new babies. I will post pics when they arrive. Speaking of which I tried to post one of my big girls yesterday and it doesn't show up. Thanks for responding!

Are you using the upload a file
20190811_160840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom