Introducing new ducks to flock

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
I did a thing today and will be getting three ducklings this summer!
I already have 4 other ducks that will be 5 years old this spring (a drake and three hens).
My new ones should be all hens.
I know to do a slow introduction by keeping them separate where they can see each other but not mingle and their pens are large enough for that as I have two 10x13runs that are connected.
When they are ready to start being penned up at night together but still kept separate, I am wondering what the best way to do that will be? Their hut is about 6x8 so not huge but big enough for the number of ducks I have ( I purposely built it on the smaller side so I was forced to limit the number of ducks I could have lol). Should I keep the new ones in a dog crate or some kind of chicken wire barrier?
Let me know what you've done!
Just trying to be prepared:)

When I introduced my newest Runners to the flock to keep them from being picked on at night I put a large dog crate inside the coop and they slept in it for a couple of weeks this was 4 runner females. They had 1/2 acre during the day to be with everyone but I didn't want them to get picked on at night. it worked out perfectly.

When I introduced my newest Runners to the flock to keep them from being picked on at night I put a large dog crate inside the coop and they slept in it for a couple of weeks this was 4 runner females. They had 1/2 acre during the day to be with everyone but I didn't want them to get picked on at night. it worked out perfectly.
Thanks for that!

Out of the 3 I only have Buff but I sure do love those girls.
Of course wouldn't it be nice if we could have a couple of every breed?

are these the breeds you have now?

Out of the 3 I only have Buff but I sure do love those girls.
Of course wouldn't it be nice if we could have a couple of every breed?

are these the breeds you have now?
Haha it would!
I currently have two roens hens, a black swedish hen (used to have 2 😢) and a Cayuga drake (used to have a Cayuga hen as well 😞) so these will be all new breeds.
Been picking ones that are supposedly more calm and not broody. But of course my two roens are as different from each other as can be one is really calm and sweet and the other is a complete spazz and sassy pants so I really don't think it means much haha. Getting them from Metzer.

My last Runners came from Metzers they are 5 months old and full of personality. Well my original Runners came from Metzers but from a different route, A member on here had Runners from Metzers and she sold me eggs from her Runners. So I guess that means the Metzers line is still going lol

Back in Jan. I got another Runner and a Cayuga duck from another BYCer who is moving out of the country what a precious duck the Cayuga is .

I'm sorry if you lost them.

My last Runners came from Metzers they are 5 months old and full of personality. Well my original Runners came from Metzers but from a different route, A member on here had Runners from Metzers and she sold me eggs from her Runners. So I guess that means the Metzers line is still going lol

Back in Jan. I got another Runner and a Cayuga duck from another BYCer who is moving out of the country what a precious duck the Cayuga is .

I'm sorry if you lost them.
My first batch came from Metzer.

Yea I lost my black swedish, Blue, to some illness a little after they turned two. Tried everything. And a fox got my Cayuga girl, Kevin, last June. Absolutely devastated both times especially the fox as that was completely preventable and all my fault.
I really like the personalities of my black swedish but I'm not ready to "replace" Blue. Same reason why I couldn't bring myself to get another Cayuga cuz loosing Kevin is still really hard for me. I had to go with breeds that were "safe" for me and if I got more roens Darla, my remaining black swedish would be even more of an odd ball (she has a spinal deformity and probably also just a little special Ed too she doesn't always duck right). Lol. Probably over thinking everything but that is what I tend to do

I kept a medium dog crate in my coop after Ping, my rescue pekin drake died in October. It is now the night suite for my latest pekin rescue. He was kept see no touch in a temporary dog exercise pen for 4 weeks and has now been out with the muscovy drakes during the day. When Ping slept in the dogcrate his tightly bonded muscovy friend, O Pato, slept on top so that he could hang over the side and keep in touch with his buddy.

This year I built a new larger (5' x 10') duck house with the help of my friends. It's all metal as the last one had wooden front and back and wooden frame across the sides that were completely demolished by carpenter ants in only two and a half years

So the muscovy have a spacious new coop and what has happened? Two of them now sleep ontop of the dog crate housing the new pekin drake. And one muscovy has the rest of the large space to himself!!

My ducks are daft, but I have plenty of room for this year's rescues

Back
Top Bottom